Collapsing Lower Radiator Hose

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:22 pm

I have noticed that the bottom radiator to water pump hose on my Tiger collapses when the engine revs, presumably limiting the water flow. This phenomenon is well documented on Mustang forums, and the remedy is to fit a spring inside the hose.

Is there such a spring that can be fitted to the shorter, tighter angled Tiger hose? Or is it just that my hose is past its best, and a new one will fix the problem?

Thanks

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:52 pm

Tim,
I just cut the spring down and used that.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Have never come across 'collapsing' hoses before. What causes that, poor water circulation from radiator or too powerful a water pump? Or as suggested, a failing rubber hose?

I best go and have a closer look at mine.

redbaron

Post by redbaron » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Tony,Tim,
what causes the lower hose to collapse is the suction of the water pump,and the more the engine revs the more the hose is constricting the flow.
This is a fairly common problem with a long hose,so that is why Ford Mustangs etc,have a sprial spring inside the hose to stop the collapse and allow the coolant to flow.
RHD Tigers have a shorter hose sections and a good quality hose in these lengths should not suffer.
LHD Tigers have a single hose,and thus could be prone to it,best to check for some reinforcement inside hose,if not a simple wire coil spring will help.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks Guys.

My car is a UK model with the short hose, so sounds like it's a dodgy hose; I'll fit a new one.

It does explain the fact that the temperature of my car rises gradually over 50 - 60 miles of motorway driving.

Thanks again for the posts.