Door seals and channels

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:33 pm

In your second photo just opposite your thumb, is a turn bruckle thing with a spring, what does that do as one of my locks is missing that part?

Cheers
Brad
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Brad1380 wrote:my locks is missing that part?

That little buckle twists 90 degrees and fits over the short piece with a rod that's about 3 inches long and connects between the lever operated by the door key and then operates the locking mechanism of the door lock unit. It is needed to connect the door lock together. Looks as if it is connected in place by a small circlip assembly, and spring. Easily fitted if you can find it.

I did manage a few more hours on the Tiger today, but in the week did manage to clean, paint and waxoyl inside the door;

Pleased with the panels being truly rust free, out of interest the Tiger came from the USA in the late eighties.

Today though, I wasn't happy with the 'lethargic' movement of the door lock assembly as it wasn't catching the lock on closing the door as I would have liked. So it came out again and to get 50 years of hard grease crud removed, together with the galvanised film I used Hydrochloric Acid to clean it thoroughly. Now the door lock has lots of sticky lube attached and the door lock now works as it should. Amazaing what 50 years of crud does to the operation of the lock :mrgreen:

Plenty of white grease in the window channel runner;

With the rear lower channel in first, and the window winder mechanism loosely fitted and greased the window easily fitted onto the runners today.

Front lower channel needs yet to be fitted, hopefully will have more time next weekend.

Was also advised before fitting the window to fit outer upper window outer weather seal in place, as it easier to get to those 'bastard' clips with the window out.

My daughter's 16th birthday party got in the way today
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:46 pm

In your 2nd photo opposite your thunb is a turn buckle type thing with a spring on it, what does that do as one of my locks is missing that part?
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Top of earlier post Brad. Have tried to explain it?

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Sorry my brower didn't update!

I like the way your locks have come up, where did you get the acid?
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Tomaselli in APRIL 2015 wrote:UPDATE;

DO NOT USE ANY ACID MATERIAL TO STRIP LOCKING MECHANISM AS IT RUINS THE INTERNAL COMPONENTS!!!!!!!!!!

Patio cleaner from the local builder's merchants :mrgreen:

Care though, as it also takes off the galvanised coating. I'll just make sure I keep the mechanism lubed up. Using that sticky Wurth penetrating oil.

Tomaselli APRIL in 2015 wrote:UPDATE;

DO NOT USE ANY ACID MATERIAL TO STRIP LOCKING MECHANISM AS IT RUINS THE INTERNAL COMPONENTS!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Tomaselli on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:45 pm

A few spare hours today so carried on with the passenger door weather seals.

Pretty much everything was in place now for me to finish the job.

Cleaned the windows as 50 odd years of grime had accumulated, and wanted then clean so I get the channels properly lubed up :mrgreen:

Front lower window channel I had already lined up with the quarterlight fitting. The channel has to be a continuous seating for the window. With knowing that it all in place, a bit of red oxide to keep the weather off for the next 50 years.

Very pleased with the final fitting of the external glass door weatherseal..

Quarterlight unit next, that slotted in nicely and pre-measuring of external seal made final fitting a breeze :D Quarterlight had window channel already in place and 'butted' up nicely to the lower front window channel.

I was surprised by how much one can adjust all the window channels and window regulators. A combination of ensuring the channels are tight in the door, runs straight and not overly tight for the window winder mechanism.

One adjustment was the height and stop of the window, it was always a bit too high. So an opportunity to fine tune...

Everything lubed up and greased as it should be. Was bone dry before!!

Final fettling;

Inner weatherstrip, chrome side up :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Final result, very pleased!

Final pic. Old weatherstrp against the correct new one. The old one was never going to fit correctly and do the job, and finally completed after 16 years waiting :roll: :roll:

Now to do the other side :shock:

Thanks for everyone's help along the way :D

redbaron

Door channels and seals

Post by redbaron » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Nice work there Tony,,and a good article well illustrated with clear pics.
Always good for owners to see what is involved in doing these jobs if they attempt to do them themselves :D

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Nicely done Tony.

Do an engine rebuild next.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:13 am

Thought I'd better 'crack on' with the other door before the Tiger season is soon upon us.

Rather than bombard you fine folk with loads of images, of the same, thought I would treat you all to my selfie :mrgreen:

Cleaning inside the door, not an easy task, but good to see only light surface rust and nothing major. Good old American import with no real rust, very lucky.

Anyway, I need a few bits if anybody has any spare.

A set of the these spacers;

And, a set of these screws with large panheads, there are four of them that secure the winder mechanism to the door frame. I need two, of the longer type;

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 am

Got loads

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:27 pm

What have you done to your hands?!!!

Nice work. Do you want to come and do some work on mine after?

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:48 pm

UPDATE;