help 50oz harmonic balancer

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Tbirch

Post by Tbirch » Wed May 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi guys, i'm Fitting a 302 into my tiger. The engine is a 302 50oz balance crankshaft....im having real trouble finding a balance that fits the 260 timing cover.
Ive tried realsteel, custom ville and essex mustang centre...
the only other option I have is to fit a 302 timing cover and waterpump, and im not sure this will fit correctly, any advice would be much appreciated.
cheers, Tom

redbaron

Post by redbaron » Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Tom,
it is possible to fit the later 289/302 timing chain cover and iron water pump if you need to.
Aftermarket alloy water pumps also fit these covers.

David

Tbirch

Post by Tbirch » Thu May 15, 2014 7:16 am

Hi David,

does the later timing cover come out the same distance as the original with the water pump attached?

tom.

redbaron

Post by redbaron » Thu May 15, 2014 8:52 am

Tom,
the later Ford timing chain cover,for the 289/302 and water pump have the roughly the same depth from fan to block,you will whatever pump you use have to press the fan pulley hub back down the water pump shaft as all the aftermarket pumps have the hub to far forward.
If using the later style water pump with the sheet metal backing as you would for these covers,remove this and support shaft before pressing hub down shaft.
Then cut off excess shaft from hub face.

Regards David

Tbirch

Post by Tbirch » Wed May 28, 2014 7:22 am

Hi David,

sorry for the late reply and thankyou for your advice the car is now running with a 302 front cover and alloy water pump. I did press the hub down the shaft about 8mm, it now sits in line with the crank and alternator. No need to cut off the excess as I figured I would just look ugly and still enough clearance for the Rad!

It says your also in essex, where are you based?

Thanks again, Tom.