Original oil filter pipes - where can you get replacements

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
pushrod

Original oil filter pipes - where can you get replacements

Post by pushrod » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:47 pm

My original oil filter pipes are leaking from the fittings either side of the aluminium filter cap. They have been remade at one time in the past but the ends of the steel pipes weren't swaged properly, so now they have distorted and wont make a seal.

I have tried fitting the 360° adaptor but there is not enough clearance between the block and the front pipe of my header for it to fit. Same would probably go for the remote filter adaptor to reposition the unit under the wing.

Does anyone know where I could get a new set made up to the original pattern. No one local to me has a machine capable of swaging a 1/2" dia pipe correctly and to form the 3" radius. My Tigers currently beached until I find a replacement.

Lou.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

redbaron

Original oil filter pipes - whrere can you get replacements

Post by redbaron » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi Lou,
do you have a local Pirtek hydraulic hose repair company branch near you,they may be able to help.
Failing that you may have to use some Earls/Goodridge Hose and ftgs,use the original cast block banjo and banjo bolt,modify two male/male ftgs and then use AN Ftgs and hose to a new remote filter head.

I may be able to help if you run into difficulties.

Regards David

tigerman7347

Oil filter

Post by tigerman7347 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Lou, get rid of that lot and use a screw in filter .I think it is from a Renault 5!

Rob

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:35 am

Hi Lou
I have the 360 adapter fitted with headers, I had a machine shop take 3mm off the face of the adapter and then machine a new slot for the "O" ring to sit in. You will have to loosen the headers to get it into position.
There is also a hyper hose company near me if you cant find one local to make up pipes for original adapter.
Harry

tigerman7347

Oil filter

Post by tigerman7347 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:32 am

Hi Lou, sorry I forgot you had headers

le tigre

Post by le tigre » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:22 pm

I get all my pipes from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe. They can make you up pipe in either stainless braided or just plain steel braided. Very helpful and beautifully made.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Lou,

I used ARP Co-Ltd. in Avonmouth to make up the oil filter hoses for my Tiger. They did it while I waited & were very helpful.

http://www.arpcoltd.co.uk/

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Thu May 01, 2014 9:15 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

My quest to find someone who can make some new hoses took me on a trek around South Wales. Tried Pirtek who had the 1/2" steel pipe but didn't have the JIC fittings or could't flare the pipes, then another couple of places before I ended up in Newport at Gwent Hydraulics who are making some replacement pipes for me.

The problem seems to be with the ability to properly flare the end of the steel pipes. I will see what I end up with from the guys in Newport.

In the short term I've cobbled together a temporary fix to get me going, had to resort to using an "O" ring on top of the filter to stop the flood, it worked but it's not a long term solution.

Lou.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

Russtee

Post by Russtee » Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I also dumped the whole lot and got a variable position right-angle adapter
and now use the smaller filter that fits nicely down by the headers, a breeze to change although need to raise the car to get underneath.