289 engine noises

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Tim Kemp

289 engine noises

Post by Tim Kemp » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 pm

My Tiger runs a totally rebuilt 289 (less than 1000 miles) that runs fine apart from some slight tappet noise on cold start-up. It was fitted with new Eidelbrock Performer cam and hydraulic lifters during the rebuild. The problem starts after about 5-10 minutes at approx 3000 rpm when a loud ticking starts as if a rocker is about to fly to pieces. Let it idle and the noise reduces and dies away over about 5 seconds. It is then OK to rev back up for a minute or so, even at higher revs, before the noise returns. Engine loading makes no difference. I suspected a faulty lifter so have just replaced the entire set, running in as prescribed but the problem remains. The oil pump is a high-output unit so I wondered if there was insufficient oil flow (a windage tray is fitted). However, the oil pressure does not waver when the noise starts, always a good 50 psi-plus when hot. If this was a cam problem, I would expect a constant noise when the engine is warm, not an intermittent one. Any ideas? Cheers, Tim.

Russtee

Post by Russtee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:19 am

Had similar noise problem, turned out to be a valve guide slightly too tight after head rebuild and would run fine until full temp and the valve started to hang up in the guide and the piston would give it a nudge to close it, definitely not a nice sound.