Engine Rebuild

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Dudley

Engine Rebuild

Post by Dudley » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:19 am

I am nearing completion of restoration of MK1 in Zimbabwe. I bought the uncompleted project from a friend who had run out of steam and maybe cash. He had bored out the original 260 block to 289 specs. Also fitted Edelbrock Performer heads and manifold, plus Holley 650 carb, MSD ignition etc.. etc.. Previous owner had engine running sweetly on bench, but has not been tested on the run. After speaking to many people in the know, they advised that it was crazy to add all this expensive stuff to a bored out 260 as this will definitely overheat!
Consequently, I managed to pick up early 5 bolt 289 block in Cape Town with 302 crank and rods. Had all machining done with new pistons, bearings etc..
Having just read Oneoffive comments, I am wondering if I should expend the energy and further costs of replacing the engine. I would appreciate comments

alpine5gt

Post by alpine5gt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:06 am

The 260 block cannot be bored to 289 and be expected to run well. The ford block is a thinwall block and if the rebore was successful the cylinder walls are now so thin the block is slated for a very short life. Fitting the 289 5 bolt is the best way to go. As a matter of fact, the only way to go with the situation you have.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will respond as well
Steven

Dudley

Engine Rebuild

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks Steven. I have decided to install the 302 motor. Just hope all the other bits and pieces off the 260 will be compatible - harmonic balancer, flywheel, timing cover, water pump etc..As said it is an early 5 bolt 289 block

redbaron

Engine Rebuild

Post by redbaron » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi Dudley,
if you intend to use the flywheel and harmonic balancer from your 260 engine,you will have to have the 289/302 engine balanced.
The flywheel and balancer will not be matched to the 302 crank and piston balance,the components need to be balanced with those if you want to use them on that engine.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 am

Thanks Redbaron. Whilst I understand the general meaning of balancing, I am not familiar with the detail. My machined, assembled 302 shortblock sits in Johannesburg awaiting transport up to Harare. The overbored 260 (289) engine (from which I will remove all ancillaries to put on 302) sits in Harare. I doubt that I can get decent balancing done in Harare, so therefore this will have to be done in Jhb. I take it they will need the flywheel and balancer to do this, or can balancing done without these?
Sorry to bore you with details but things are not that simple in this part of the world.

redbaron

Engine Rebuild

Post by redbaron » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 am

Dudley,
well this is not an easy job for you with the distance of the two engines.
The machine shop that will do the balance will need both the flywheel and clutch cover also the crank damper,crank bolt,and to do the job properly the crankshaft,con rods,pistons,pins and rings ,along with con rod brgs all need to be weighed,and altered to be at or near the same weight.

During production of the engine,The crankshaft damper and flywheel are then balanced as a unit.
This would entail an engine strip to do this in your case,but to bolt on the flywheel to another crankshaft,especially a 302,is going to cause problems later.
There is no easy way out on this if you want the engine to run smoothly and last.
Regards David

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks David
That makes it clear. I have some decisions to make!

Dudley

Data

Post by Data » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:20 am

Hi Dudley,

I wonder whether your Zimbabwe Tiger is my old Tiger reg 170016Z. At the time this was the only Tiger in that part of the woods!