lost lifter disk or Rhoads

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
meadowhog

lost lifter disk or Rhoads

Post by meadowhog » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:14 am

Got the engine out to change the ring gear. Thought Id poke around and find the rattle on start up. Sure enough I found a sticky lifter. Whilst putting it back together I flippin well dropped the little dished washer and its gone, vanished, hiding, winding me up, annoyed, AHhhhhh. Where can I get another or should/could I fit the new set of Rhoads lifters I have knocking around?

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:53 am

I used a set of Rhoads lifters in a Pontiac engine once. They did work and give better low rpm performance and increased the vacuum which was helpful for the brake booster. The only down side with the Rhoads is they are noisy. I was told by a reputable engine builder it's not the lifter making the noise it's because they leak down that fast at low rpm that the sound is from the valves hitting the seats.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks Mal, there is some debate as to whether they are any good, I'll take your word. Now, is there a problem with using new lifters with an old cam? Im not sure what the cam is but with forged pistons, screw in studs and doubled up springs I guess its pretty warm, which is apparently good with Rhoads. Using Moly is a given.

That is, if I cant get another disk.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Found it!!! Must have stuck to the bottom of my shoe and I walked it outside!Lucky boy.

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 pm

meadowhog wrote:Thanks Mal, there is some debate as to whether they are any good, I'll take your word. Now, is there a problem with using new lifters with an old cam? Im not sure what the cam is but with forged pistons, screw in studs and doubled up springs I guess its pretty warm, which is apparently good with Rhoads. Using Moly is a given.

That is, if I cant get another disk.
From what I have been told using new lifters with a used cam is OK. Never the other way around though. It is often recommended when using double valve springs to remove the inner springs for the initial cam beak in and plenty of moly lube on the lobes as you said. Ask your local engine builder to be sure.