Zinc content in engine oil

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
pushrod

Zinc content in engine oil

Post by pushrod » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 pm

Whilst recently discussing my engine rebuild with the guys at Real Steel I asked what oil they suggest I should use when the motor is rebuilt. They told me that I need to use an oil with a high zinc content, or add zinc to my oil.

I've been using Valvoline VR1 20/50 mineral oil. Apparently this does have zinc but RS didn't think it had enough.

To further support their comment I've just read an article in Hagerty's online magazine, (2012 winter edition), in relation to the Ford Cleveland engine.

"All engines with flat top tappets require motor oil that contains 1,000 to 1,500 parts per million (ppm) zincdialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP).

Without the correct amount of ZDDP, which provides protection by clinging to the metal at high-friction areas, cam lobes can-and will-wear away, and small bits of metal will circulate throughout the engine and cause major damage.

Motor oil designed for modern cars generally has about 800 ppm ZDDP because higher concentrations of zinc damage catalytic converters. So if the motor oil you're using doesn't specifically have at least 1,000 ZDDP consider using a ZDDP additive with every oil change or oil with a higher concentrations such as Brad Penn, AMSOIL or Valvoline Racing Oil"

We may not be able to get all of those makes in the UK, however Penrite also make an oil with high zinc content. There may well be others.

Lou.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

ksherlock

oil

Post by ksherlock » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 am

My brother spent 40 years with Valvoline Oil Co. as Chemist and Technical Advisor and he assures me that Valvoline Racing Oil VR1 contains adequate Zinc additive for this engine . The additive also contains Phosphorus in the form of Zinc di alkyl di thio phosphate. All information can be found on Valvoline.com ( the American website.)

c42

Post by c42 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Maybe an additive if concerned.

http://www.slick50.com/ourProducts/synt ... atment.php

Regards
John

Russtee

Post by Russtee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:38 am

I'm using Lucas Hot Rod and Classic..it has 1900 pmm and their running in oil is a whopping 3300pmm