Cross member removal

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
JAYANDSHEL

Cross member removal

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:49 pm

When Taking off your front cross complete with brakes and suspension
what technique do you use when lowering it down so that it does not rotate and fall off the jack?

redbaron

Cross member removal

Post by redbaron » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi Jay,
removing the crossmember is a precarious job,you need to balance the unit on the jack but have the centre behind the main crossmember to achive a safe lowering to the floor or stands.
Also you will find that the top wishbone fulcrum pin bush housings will hit on the chassis rail as that is wider than the c/member when they are fitted.
You will need to jiggle one side clear and lower it to enable the other side to come down.
Then lower away to the ground etc.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:55 am

Hi Jay, I made up a cradle to hold the cross member for easy removel and fitment. Need to take out the shocks though. Made it very easy when it came time to put it back in the car.

http://sunbeamtiger.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1161

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Try a length of timber across the back with a central leg coming forward to main cross member. Allows the jack to be placed at centre of gravity & lets unit come down square.

JAYANDSHEL

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks Guys
Mal that is very neat I guess you take the cross member off a lot, think I will use your design but as Bob says couple of bits of timber would do.