Mechanical brake light switch

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
pruyter

Mechanical brake light switch

Post by pruyter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:58 am

I have experienced over the years that once in about 2 years I have to install a new brake light switch, because after some time I have to depress the brake pedal very hard in order to get the brake light working.
On the other hand a friend of mine who has also a Tiger still runs the same switch wich was installed by Rootes in 1965.
I did not understand this until I red on the webstie of SAOCA an interesting piece about this subject. The author is Tiger Tom welknown in the Tigerworld at least in the USA. Now I know what is the culprit: it is the silicone brake fluid which is used in my car where my friend uses in his Tiger the usual DOT 3. Silicone brake fluid causes rubbers to swell much more rapid than DOT3 and consequently it causes to swell the rubber ring which is part of the brake light swithc.
Now my question: does anybody know about a suitable replacemet as a mechanical brake light switch? Were can I buy such a switch and are there some instructions how to install such a system?
Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Peter

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Very interesting post, and explains a lot. Thanks. I thought I just had a duff batch of them brake switches. I had assumed that the modern replacement component wasn't up to the job :!:

dpuzey

Post by dpuzey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Holden will sell the switch, I think this is the correct part

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct. ... e=54033360.

The repro ones also work differently to the original which had a proper pivot rather than a piece of bent metal. Using the mechanical switch to switch a relay to actuate the brake lights ought to extend the life of the switch as there will be considerable less current going through the switch. My swith lasted less than 3 years!
Dave Puzey
1965 Midnight Blue Tiger
1967 Mid Grey SWB Land Rover

Used to own 1985 Targa Red Rover 3500 TP Vitesse

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for the information. Do you know which type is exaxtly needed? I see different types of them. Do you know also how the switch is installed? I don't mean the wiring up but the mechanical part of it. If you have made some sort of bracket I appreciate a drawning and/or some measurements. Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Peter

dpuzey

Post by dpuzey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:10 pm

The switch screws into the 5 way brake pipe connector block which is on the right hand front inner wing, there are no additional brackets. I think the link is to the correct part, I suggest you speak to Holden or Andy Carter at Sunbeam Spares who also sells them
Dave Puzey
1965 Midnight Blue Tiger

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:20 pm

The links goes to the Homepage of Holden. When arrived on the pages of brake light switches I see a whole bunch of them. Do you mean that the mechanical switch srews in at the same place where the hydraulic switch is screwed in? If so how should the switch operate then as a mechanical switch? I thought that a mechanical switch means a switch operated by the brake pedal. Or do I miss something?
Regards,
Peter

dpuzey

Post by dpuzey » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:44 am

Sorry looks like the link does not take you to the right page. Look under switches, brake light switchs, part number 54033360, it is a hydraulic switch. Not seen anyone fit a mechanical one.
Dave Puzey
1965 Midnight Blue Tiger

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:00 am

Anyway thanks for trying to help me.
I want to change to a mechanical switch because of the problems as I have described. In the USA a fellow, Bill Blue, has produced some years ago a complete kit which he sold to members of SAOCA. I have emailed him in order to buy such a kit, but unfortunately he has stopped producing them. He has sent me 2 photos which could help me to produce the kit, but I am not exaxtly a handy man (more like to be born with two left hands) and I don't see myself producing this kit.
Since the problem with the hydraulic switches is recognized by a lot op Alpine/Tiger-owners I was curious if somebody here in Europe (which includes Great Britain, although some Brits believe otherwise) has found a solution which we can learn from.
Again thanks for helping.
Regards,
Peter