Mallory equipment

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
tigerman7347

Mallory equipment

Post by tigerman7347 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Just recently I have had 3 Mallory Coils go in 3 years. I have been told that because they are made in China they are poor quality. Does this mean that all Mallory equipment is the same? I paid £21 + vat for a ballast resistor and £50 + vat for a coil, when Acuspark supplied a Coil and Ballast resistor for £14.95 delivered! So what does that tell you?

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:26 pm

I hate to tell you this but Accuspark is also made in China and it does not have a particularly stellar reputation judging by reports on other car forums.

A vast number of replacement parts for the Tiger, including crankshafts, rods, electrical equipment etc are also made in China. It is par for the course.

Excessive under-bonnet heat can harm coils and other electrical parts, but you seem to be very unlucky with 3 coils in 3 years.

Is your coil mounted correctly (i.e. vertically)? A horizontally mounted oil-filled coil is more likely to overheat and fail because of inadequate cooling.

tigerman7347

Mallory equipment

Post by tigerman7347 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Ive tried keeping the coil upright, doesn't seem to make much difference.It still fails! Well if Acuspark are also made in China at least they are 4 times cheaper than Mallory!

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:27 pm

I havent quite a full understanding yet of what happened to mine but the coil, ballast resistor and condensor all failed at the same time. One may have caused another to fail.

Condensor would give a fluctuating ohms reading showing something was breaking down. (NB this is not always the way to find fault) The coil secondary was over its limit and the ballast resistor would go down in resistance by half when warmed up.

Tried replacing one at a time and swapping etc, and although I would have thought it had a chance of starting (by going on the readings) it didnt. The condensor was Mallory, no idea what the others were but now like you, I have an Accuspark. Tempted by Lucas but its probably made at the same place.

All changed and running but too late for the National. As Burble said, Im certain mine was caused by heat under the bonnet probably due to the tubular headers, hot day, traffic etc. In my case to stop the electrics frying I think I need to insulate the exhuast.