Mallory conversion to electronic ignition

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
meadowhog

Mallory conversion to electronic ignition

Post by meadowhog » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Broke down the other day. Found the condensor has died and that it is a common problem on Mallory dual point dizzys. Seems dual point is voodoo anyway.

Is there an electronic conversion and whats in involved? fitting and will it need new coil. And does anyone know what the capacitor rating is? Can I just chuck anything in to get it going for now?

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 am

A Pertronix conversion is the way to go. An easy fix and no more points or condensor. I have had one on my car for about five years now, just trouble free.
I am sure that you can get one from Sunbeam spares.

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:34 am

Hi,
I have for about 18 years a Lumenition electronic ignition in my Tiger and it never has given me any problems. Before that I had, just like you, a Mallory dual point system which did not give me problems but certainly some work in adjusting the points now and again.
I sold my Mallory system to Tristan Bradfield after Brian Postle told me that Tristan needed one for his race acitivities.
Regards,
Peter

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks Peter,

I see Tristan at my monthly meet so I'll ask him how its going. Ive found a pair of condensors in the garage (annoyingly) I'll stick with them for a bit, but electronic is the way to go.

I read the Pertronic II has issues with coil match but the III sounds great as it has a rev limiter built in, but expensive.

Cheers
Simon

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 am

Hi Simon,
I have heard great comments about the Pertronix too.
I forgot to tell that regarding the Lumenition I have the Optronic system, not the Magnetic.
At the same time I bought a new standard Ford dizzy to be sure that there should be no other causes that could interfere with the ignition system. I skipped the ballast resistor system which is both standard on the Tiger and was also installed with the Mallory system. The Tiger, after months be standing still, starts in the first instant but.....I have to start first the following ritutal: put on the ignition and wait untill the petrol pump stops ticking. Then I pump the acceleration pedal a few times, swith off the ignition and....very important: wait about 30 seconds before I put on the ignition again. Then I pump a few times the acceleration pedal and start the engine. It starts then immediately and I hear hardly the starter motor. It took me months searching my starting problems before I discoverd that apperently the carburettor needs to be soaked for petrol before it would start, that's why I have to wait the 30 seconds.
Regards,
Peter

t1germk1

Electronic ignition

Post by t1germk1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Had similar problem with Mallory dual point, got Pertronics from Brian at least 10 years ago and just dropped the plate in and not one problem since. :D

V Mad

Post by V Mad » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:54 am

pruyter wrote:Hi Simon,
It took me months searching my starting problems before I discoverd that apperently the carburettor needs to be soaked for petrol before it would start, that's why I have to wait the 30 seconds.
Regards,
Peter
I have the same situation. If my car has been standing for a few weeks or more it takes longer to start. I always wait for the pump to stop but I will try waiting longer see if that helps.
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk