Cutting out whilst warm

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
tigerman7347

Cutting out whilst warm

Post by tigerman7347 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Got a problem. When the car is cold it ticks over nicely. When its warm it cuts out on tick over, and is rough up to 1500rpm but starts immediately. Have electronic ignition, silicone leads. Any clues? Thanks

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:18 pm

What carb have you got. What happens over 1500rpm. How warm is warm. Do you use a choke. Whats it like when you drive. Any strange engine noises. Is the dizzy loose. Can you see any fuel dribbling out of mains? Any black smoke out exhuast? Got enough water?

Need more but as a guess running rich especiall if you have a Holley.

tigerman7347

Cutting out whilst warm

Post by tigerman7347 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 pm

meadowhog wrote:What carb have you got. What happens over 1500rpm. How warm is warm. Do you use a choke. Whats it like when you drive. Any strange engine noises. Is the dizzy loose. Can you see any fuel dribbling out of mains? Any black smoke out exhuast? Got enough water?

Need more but as a guess running rich especiall if you have a Holley.
Warm,is normal running temp. no choke, ford twin barrel,no strange engine noises, no fuel dribbling out. Runs fine over 1500rpm. Thought it might be the coil again as Ive had 3 go in 3 years!

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Twin choke ford is pretty reliable. So electrics sounding more likely. Assuming no detonation ie. too advanced as there are no strange engine noises it could be too far retarded. Thats happened to me but doesnt explain why it would be fine and now not. It wouldnt take much to advance it but first Id check your spark plug condition/gap. When you have them out check what condition/colour they are which could help identify a direction.

If you have a spare coil you could try that but I would have thought the problem would have been seen in higher revs too. The other thing I would check is the condensor if you have one, which can do some very strange things.

If none of the above it starts to get tricky and Im not sure how to check them. Could be the dizzy drive or timing chain. Advancing the dizzy could overcome this to some degree

tigerman7347

Cutting out whilst warm

Post by tigerman7347 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi Meadowhog, have noticed the pipe from PCV valve to back of carb is flattening! That could be the problem. Will take off and fit something solid in the middle of it tomorrow.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Could be that if theres a leak. I thought I was the only one to have a carb leaked vacuum like a sieve. Just in case, tighten up all bolts on the carb. You could get a blow torch (un-lit!) and get some gas around the carb and see if it picks up on idle.

tigerman7347

Cutting out whilst warm

Post by tigerman7347 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Finally today I sorted the cutting out after cleaning the carb , replacing the Ballast resistor. The coil gave up on me YET again, 3 times in 3 years. Real Steel have told me the Mallory Coils are made in China! They tell me cos the Tiger gets so hot under the bonnet that's why they are failing! Have now gone onto Acuspark Coil at £14.95 delivered with Ballast resistor. The Mallory Ballast resistor is £21 + vat and the Mallory coil sells for £50+vat! So you know where I am going from now on!

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Funny that, the condensor that failed on me last week was a Mallory. I've been told the Mallory condensor is a poor component and it sounds like the rest of the electrics are poor too. There's a lesson to be learnt.

Anyway glad you got it sorted. Did you test them or swap and see? Could be an opportunity for a Tech Tip. There a fair bit of confusing stuff on the net which we could clear up.