Dynamat - Does it help?

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
gvickery
Site Admin

Dynamat - Does it help?

Post by gvickery » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:43 am

Anyone used Dynamat in an attempt to insuluate cabin heat, just a bit - especially for the "passenger"?

I drove the MKII to the Schloss Dyck event in Germany a couple of weeks ago when on the outbound leg we ran into 38C+(100F) right into the evening. Now I know that is twice the average high summer temperatures in Blighty and come to that 100F is probably the max ever experienced in the UK, so yes - this trip was exceptional. Or was it as during the 2010 Le Mans Classic we were zapped with greater temps still! Thankfully, water temperature hardly budged above the norm due to the Tiger being bog standard but the heat & heat soak was total++!

STOC Tigers driving in Europe is on the increase and whilst my being cooked is one price of Tigering I can accept, the lady of the house will not!! So if I am to persuade her to navigate me to Cannes / Monte Carlo on the 2014 Monte Tour I need to do something about cabin heat on her side!!

Dynamatting the passenger foot well, the rear floor, tunnel and up the firewall could at least slow heat up and even keep it down??
Then there is the wild step up to fit a heat shield(s) between the floor and exhaust run!

Looks like.

This could be too much!

Wild measure - floor exhaust / shield

I'm looking for this!!

Not this!!

So what's 'team thinking'?

Graham
STOC Editor

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:31 pm

I've looked into this as well although our Tiger doesn't seem to be that hot inside, we didn't suffer unduly on our run to and from Schloss Dyck.

My only concern with Dynamat is that it's stuck to the floor, what happens if you ever you need to do any welding underneath. There is also another similar product made by Eastwood which is a bit cheaper.

I mainly considered it for the sound deadening properties.

I recently had laminate flooring put into an upstairs flat I rent out, to cut down on the noise the flooring company fitted a sound deadening underlay which had aluminium foil on one side. Although expensive for flooring it would work out much less than Dynamat and may do the same job. I've had an offcut under my drivers mat for a while and it seems to work OK. I'll get back with the make and price.

Lou
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Graham

I used Dynamat on the floor and firewall of my Tiger. I then used Dynaliner over the top on the firewall. The Dynaliner is better at stopping the heat and Dynamat vibration and sound. There is no heat being transferred into the car.

dpuzey

Post by dpuzey » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:43 am

I put Cool Tec foil backed material in my foot wells, which is very similar to Dynamat, it does work, I was at Le Mans Classic in 2010! I did not bother with the tunnel.
Dave Puzey
1965 Midnight Blue Tiger
1967 Mid Grey SWB Land Rover

Used to own 1985 Targa Red Rover 3500 TP Vitesse

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Simple, just leave the car alone & the wife at home. Works for me!

maxtwee

Post by maxtwee » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:42 am

Do exhaust coatings like zircotec work? if so, you may not need all that extra insulation.
http://www.zircotec.com/page/classic_cars/14

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:39 am

Anybody have experience installing air con into the Tiger?

There must be now a simple kit you can plug in?

maxtwee

Post by maxtwee » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:33 pm

I cam across this today, ultra thin head shield material. You can even get it with gold coatings if you fancy some bling

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/he ... insulation

B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Anyone done a cost and performance comparison of the various solutions ? I don't want to be scrambling to do this last minute, and while I've got half the carpet up to fit the MX5 seats, might as well tackle heat insulation.

Any recommendations on the easiest way to remove the original horsehair / tarmac sound deadening material on the floorpan ? Horrible stuff...

alpine5gt

Post by alpine5gt » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:53 am

Yes, remove the origional felt/horshair with lots of elbow work and carefull use of a power sander. My floors are now painted metal waitiing for the heatshield sheets. Yes, the MX5 seats have been retrimmed waiting for fitting.