Brakes

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
pruyter

Post by pruyter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi gents,
Just some more information about the trouble with the brakes.
When the car is parked in my garage and I get in the car and press the brake pedal without the engine running all is well. As soon as I start the engine while the brake pedal is pushed I feel the pedal sinking a bit.
The next thing which really amazes me is that I get the feeling that the level of brake fluid in the reservoir is fluctuating a few milimeters. I remember some time ago that the level of the brake fluid was that high that it was reaching the cap of the reservoir (which is a level I never fill up to). After some trips the brake fluid level sunk about 20 milimeters but now it is 18 milimeters and I remember one time a level of 16 milimeters.
Does both observations match with a faulty master cylinder i.e. the small rubber seal which is detorating?
I hope somebody can clear up this for me.
Best regards,
Peter

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:28 pm

pruyter wrote:Hi gents,

As soon as I start the engine while the brake pedal is pushed I feel the pedal sinking a bit.

Best regards,
Peter
This is nothing to worry about; in fact it is completely normal and it just means that your brake servo is operating correctly.

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 am

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your reaction. So I can relax on that one. Curious as I am I should like to know what happens when I push the brake pedal with the engine going idle. What causes the brake pedal to sink while afterwards all is okay again? I should appreciate it when you can inform me about this.
I am just an amator you know.
Best regards,
Peter