Ign Light

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Mal

Ign Light

Post by Mal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:20 am

I have a small problem with the ign light. When I turn the ign on the ign light does not come on. Once the engine is started the light comes on and stays on. It did this when I first installed the alternator before the restoration. Now the car has been completely been rewired and it is still doing it. Alternator is charging fine, it just seems to be the problem with the ign light.
I have a pic of the wiring of the back of the alternator.
White wire is the ign light wire, red the main alt wire and purple powers the electric fan.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers Mal

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi Mal
Normally a regulator fault, the black box with Bosch on it. If you put the white wire to earth with the ignition on, the light should come on. If it does put it to the alternator body, if it still come's on. Regulator fault, if not earth fault with alternator.

Harry

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:03 am

H, Sunny 65 wrote:Hi Mal
Normally a regulator fault, the black box with Bosch on it. If you put the white wire to earth with the ignition on, the light should come on. If it does put it to the alternator body, if it still come's on. Regulator fault, if not earth fault with alternator.

Harry
Hi Harry, Thanks for the reply. If I put the white wire to earth the light does not come on. Comes on if I connect it to the main (red ) power terminal of the alternator.

Thanks Mal

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Mal
Now your getting more complicated , the light should work from the earth/ground at alternator. I would of said the light was wired in wrong, but you said it was a fault be for the restoration .
Are you still using the original regulator? Is the new loom as original? If you run the alternator as it is the voltage regulator will over charge and cause other problems.
The original light feed from dynamo, would of come off the voltage regulator. So that wire should be the one you join to your white wire.
Hope that some help.
Harry

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Harry

Yes I had the same fault when I first fitted the alternator and by-passed the regulator. The new loom is completely different from the original. It is a 12 circuit instead of the original 2. The original regulator is not fitted.
I went to find the wiring instructions to the new loom but I have put them somewhere save :? .
I have put a pic up of the wiring of the solenoid. The red wire is the one from the alternator.

I am not sure and can't remember, but if the white wire is a wire that only goes from the alt to the light, then it will not come on if I earth it, as it has then two earth supplies . It does come on if I connect the terminal to power, which makes me think it is a straight feed from the alt to the light. Which may mean it is wired wrong.
Why did I tape all the wires up before being sure everything was ok.

I started the car tonight and the new volt metre reads 13.5 volts. Is that about right ?

Thanks Mal

alpine5gt

Post by alpine5gt » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:42 am

If the volmeter is reading 13V or higher yes the charging system is working. 13.8V is ideal. Thats if you have a standard battery. Some exotics want 14.4V.

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:00 am

Mal,
i have the same wiring kit in the loft if you want a copy of the destructions.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi Mal again :D
The ignition light is very simple wiring, should be white wire from ignition live of ign switch, to ign light, then from from ign light, brown & yellow wire [if original] to the white wire on your alternator.
The voltage you have is fine, but like I said if you don't have the ign light working, the voltage regulator will not work as it should.
My guess with out popping over to have a look, is the ign light wire is on the wrong ign switch terminal.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:17 am

H, Sunny 65 wrote:Hi Mal again :D
The ignition light is very simple wiring, should be white wire from ignition live of ign switch, to ign light, then from from ign light, brown & yellow wire [if original] to the white wire on your alternator.
The voltage you have is fine, but like I said if you don't have the ign light working, the voltage regulator will not work as it should.
My guess with out popping over to have a look, is the ign light wire is on the wrong ign switch terminal.

Thanks again Harry.
If you could pop over tomorrow afternoon it would be most helpful. I will put the kettle on.

I connected a wire from the ign light to the ign switch. Tried it on all terminals and it did not do as it should with any of them. Had some interesting results though.
I found the instuctions for the wiring and tried to scan the pic and put it on photobucket and post it but it did not work. It involves the alternator control box and alternator relay and a warning light simulator :? .

I think I have wired the white wire directly from the alt to the ign light. I probably need to take it to the electrician that helped me a bit with it.
I must have achieved the same result when I first fitted the alt when by-passing the control box.

If it is charging at 13.5 volts, am I risking any real harm by using it. Wanted to take it away for a 3 hour drive sunday.

Thanks again Mal.

Thanks for the offer Brad, instructions found.

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi Mal
Quick fix, disconect the white feed from alternator & any wires you have on ign light. Get some new wire go from ign live from ign switch, to back of ign light, then other side of ign light to alternator. that is a tempory repair & should at least tell you if alternator working as should and if light is ok.
Then you can get on and try to work out what wrong with the new wiring.

Harry
ps I prefer beer.

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Mal
Quick fix, disconect the white feed from alternator & any wires you have on ign light. Get some new wire go from ign live from ign switch, to back of ign light, then other side of ign light to alternator. that is a tempory repair & should at least tell you if alternator working as should and if light is ok.
Then you can get on and try to work out what wrong with the new wiring.

Harry
ps I prefer beer.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Harry, The ign light has two wires, the white wire and a black which I thought would be an earth (is that wrong ?) as That is how I had it.

The ign live is #2 terminal which powers ign and coil, correct. So I connect that to the centre white wire on the light. Then run a wire from the black wire on the light to the alt.
I can see if it is wired this way then the light would come on if I remove and earth the terminal at the alt as you said it should .

Cheers Mal

PS is that a full bodied ale or Larger :D

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:15 am

Thanks Harry, problem solved. Connected the black wire from the light I had earthed to the white wire to the back of the alt. Then the centre white wire from the light to ign live and now all is well with the world :mrgreen: .

Looks like I owe you a beer.

Cheers Mal