Removing rear hubs

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Tigerfan

Removing rear hubs

Post by Tigerfan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi,
I want to remove my rear hubs to replace the wheel studs. Looking at the Rootes handbook it suggests two tools, one to hold the half shaft when removing the nut and a special puller to remove the hub.
Are these tools really necessary or are usual workshop tools adequate?
thanks Rich

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:33 pm

In my experience, removing the rear hubs is a hellish task best avoided if possible.
If you're determined to do it, there is a legend that the club has a loan puller somewhere.

IIRC, Bigbob has a cunningly cunning plan to replace the studs involving drilling a similarly sized hole in the brake back plate and replacing them through that.

Sounds a lot easier to me.

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Yup worked well for me. A 20mm hole in line with the stud radius towards rear of back plate allowed studs to be pushed out back through backplate & replaced same way. Can block hole afterwards with rubber bung if necessary.

Tigerfan

Removing rear hubs

Post by Tigerfan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:08 am

Hi,
The reason for removing the wheel studs is to replace them with longer studs sold to me some time ago by Brian Posle, so I can fit 20mm spacers to widen the rear track and use my existing Minilites. The car looks a little anorexic at the back. Bigbobs method seems the best solution.
Does anybody know the diameter of the standard stud shank where it passes through the hub. I have a memory that Brian mentioned that the shank on the ones he supplied may need the holes in the hub opened out, although the stud size is the same. Not sure if I'm keen on doing that, like to check stud compatability first.
Thanks Rich

redbaron

Removing rear hubs

Post by redbaron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:42 am

Hi Rich,
whilst Big Bobs idea of the stud removal will work for just replacing standard studs, to fit another of a different spline size will mean that you will need to find out the root size of the spline and then either drill or broach the existing hole to a press fit size.
The correct way to fit them will be by pressing them in as you need them to be a tight fit and not an easy pull in.

David

Tigerfan

Post by Tigerfan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:18 am

Yes, that's what I thought, so the reason to take of the hubs. I need to know the root size of the standard wheel stud to know which way to go :?
regards Rich

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Tigerfan,

Personally, for safety reasons, I would fit a wider wheel with the correct offset on the OEM studs.
Using this original method, the wheel will be correctly centred and supported on the hub boss.
Using a spacer negates this and the wheel depends totally on the studs for support.

Others may disagree because their longer studs have not yet sheared off.

Most spacers are 6 to 8mm, certainly not 20mm.

See current “Alloy wheel pcd” thread in Tech Tips.