Throttle linkage

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
V8 burble

Throttle linkage

Post by V8 burble » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:33 am

I recently discovered that the throttle was only opening half-way on my Edelbrock carb's primaries. The secondaries were not opening at all.

This was due to the amount of wear/slop in the umpteen rods that constitute the Tiger's throttle linkage from pedal to carb.

I am in the process of replacing all the OEM rods with fully adjustable ones with rose joint/spherical rod ends.

McGill Motorport has an excellent stock of such items at reasonable prices:
http://mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/

maxtwee

Post by maxtwee » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:19 pm

I had the same problem in addition to cracked mounts and locking nuts. I had to weld up the cracked bits but I would like to improve the linkage as you are doing.
There are so many parts listed, could you post a final list of all the bits you ended up using and pix of the finished product.
cheers

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 am

I will do my best to get a list of all the parts plus some photos.

Prior to this I had already replaced the main rod along the firewall with a 10 mm stainless steel one and 2 nylon bushes.

If you are changing your carb, do a trial fit first because the new s/s rod may need to be longer than the original.

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 am

Alternatively, you could dispense with all the linkage, modify the accelerator pedal action to suit and fit a throttle cable/bike brake cable with adjustable ends.

If you send a PM to bigbob, he has the details plus some photos.

If you ask him nicely, and he is in a good mood, he may even post them on here for everybody to see. :)

alpine5gt

Post by alpine5gt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:19 am

My Mk1 Tiger had a cable as standard, I wonder what Tiger has linkages? Oh by the way, I am talking a unmolested LHD MK1.

redbaron

Throttle Linkage

Post by redbaron » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 am

Hi Alpine5gt,
all LHD Tigers had a cable operated carb,RHD would have the linkage.
The throttle pedal and cable are fixed to the trans tunnel,and run to a bracket on the inlet manifold.

alpine5gt

Re: Throttle Linkage

Post by alpine5gt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:58 am

redbaron wrote:Hi Alpine5gt,
all LHD Tigers had a cable operated carb,RHD would have the linkage.
The throttle pedal and cable are fixed to the trans tunnel,and run to a bracket on the inlet manifold.
Quite correct. I have bought a linkage unit to convert my Tiger to RHD. I will have the cable assembly for sale eventually.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:52 am

I have stock cable setup on my LHD Tiger, and it is a much cleaner operation.

However, I do recall not longer after my ownership that the cable snapped!! Left me stranded for a few hours at a local service station.

Friendly recovery truck managed to cobble together a new one from bits in his van, so I now always have a spare cable in the boot :lol:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 am

ksherlock wrote:Can anyone tell me the size of the holes in the two throttle linkage brackets bolted to the firewall. Also can anyone recommend a supplier of nylon bushes/grommets to fit these holes.

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Can anyone tell me the size of the holes in the two throttle linkage brackets bolted to the firewall. Also can anyone recommend a supplier of nylon bushes/grommets to fit these holes.
The original steel rod had a 3/8 inch diameter. Stainless steel replacements will be metric (10 mm) unless you have some old imperial 3/8 inch rod lying around.

You need to find a decent machinist who will machine the nylon bushes to fit the bracket holes and the rod. These nylon bushes are not available of the shelf. The nylon has to be accurately machined to the correct size for both holes.
Remove the 2 brackets and take them to a machine shop.

From memory I used a 26 inch long S/S 10 mm diameter rod to use with my Edelbrock carb.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:54 pm

best place for a throttle linkage is in a wheelie bin and replace it with a cable

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Fri May 03, 2013 10:57 pm

There are so many parts listed, could you post a final list of all the bits you ended up using and pix of the finished product.
I have just had my throttle linkage transformed. Full throttle is now available on the primaries, plus the secondaries work as well!

I had the following work done:

New sleeve for pivot point (throttle pedal).

Extended (by welding) throttle lever to give greater leverage, whilst keeping the pedal at a comfortable angle.

Fabricated 2 new rose-jointed rods, approx 100 mm long (1 vertical, 1 horizontal).

I used the following company:

Simply Bearings Ltd
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

I bought 4 of these:
PHS5 Right Hand Thread Female Rod End 5mm Bore M5 Thread:
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/produc ... _id=151101

You also need about 200 mm of M5 threaded rod (enough for 2 rods) and 4 x M5 nuts.

To match the rod end bearings, you also require 4 x M5 x 16 A2 stainless steel button head allen cap socket screws/bolts (and 4 x M5 nyloc nuts) similar to these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-PACK-M5-X- ... 460e62ecef

I hope these photos are of assistance.