Oil pressure gauge not working

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
dadiomalta

Post by dadiomalta » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Following an oil change the gauge stopped working. I fitted a replacement which did not work until I disconnected the tube from the engine and pushed a piece of electric wire up it and then refitted the gauge etc. All OK until the car was in a garage for resetting the ignition timing which caused the gauge to stop reading again. Any suggestions? Not keen to have to remove the gauge again!

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Try disconnecting the pipe from the gauge & run the engine until oil comes out. This should clear the airlock. Reconnect & hopefully all should be ok.

dadiomalta

Post by dadiomalta » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks for that, I will give it a go next Friday when we get back from taking the bumpers etc over to Sicily to be rechromed.Hope it works, not my favourite lying under the dash!

dadiomalta

Post by dadiomalta » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:39 pm

I disconnected the gauge and ran the engine to clear any air and collected about 250mltrs before reconnecting gauge. Ran engine and loosened connection so oil leaked out, tightened connection and ran engine but no pressure. So I am looking for another gauge. This is the second time I have had the problem, once after an oil change and the second after the ignition timing had been reset. I wonder why?