Replacing transmission front oil seal

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
metcoptiger

Post by metcoptiger » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi all, I am loosing some oil from the front of the gearbox where it mates with the bellhousing. Does anyone know if after removing the drive shaft and probably the gearbox mounting bar can the gearbox be slid back far enough to replace the front oil seal?

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:23 pm

are you sure its not coming out of the top cover ant running down.i had that problem

redbaron

Post by redbaron » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Metcoptiger,
this can not be achived without the front brg retainer being removed from the gearbox,so you will need to remove the input shaft from the spigot brg in the end of the crankshaft,which means removing the engine,then the gearbox front brg retainer is removed after loosening four set screws

metcoptiger

Post by metcoptiger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for the advise. I had a feeling there would not be an easy option. The oil is all at the front of the gearbox and running down the bell housing or back to the drain plug so pretty sure it will be the front oil seal.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 pm

mine was doing that after i put the 302 in it and it was the breather .and before that it was the top cover

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:35 pm

If it is definitely NOT leaking from higher up (PCV valve, rocker covers or rear of inlet manifold) and the oil is on the FRONT face of the engine plate, it is probably the sump gasket end seal.

If the front of the engine plate is DRY and there is oil dripping from the joint between this plate and the bellhousing, then it is the rear main seal.

You can easily check to see if it is the RMS by sliding back the clutch fork's rubber boot and shining a torch below the RMS area. If you can see any leaking oil, then it's time to remove the engine.

For a replacement sump gasket set, look at Real Steel, Section 2b, page 33.

http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section2b.pdf

There is a Felpro 4 piece set (BY 1809) or a Mr Gasket one-piece rubber gasket with steel inserts (BY6683).

It is a PITA job, but it is just a breeze compared to engine and gearbox removal to replace the RMS.

***Having re-read your description, it could well be the oil seal inside the front bearing retainer. That is definitely an engine out job.

First, try to identify whether it is engine oil or gearbox oil which is leaking. Gearbox oil has a totally different feel and smell.

Also, as suggested by garyv8tiger, double-check that gearbox oil is not coming out of the Toploader's top cover and then running down.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks 'V8 burble' for such a comprehensive response.
Good stuff!!

Graham
STOC Editor