Steering rack question

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Mal

Steering rack question

Post by Mal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 am

The steering rack is bushed at one end and at the other it has the sprung pressure pad. With the rack on the bench if you insert the pressure pad piston, how far should the end or skirt be from the face of the bore.
I would think it should be flush and the shims are used to set the correct depth of engagment between pinion and rack.
Mine is set down the bore 3mm and looks well worn.
How should it be.

The inside looks like it is starting to colapse.
Cheers Mal

redbaron

Steering rack question

Post by redbaron » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 am

Mal,
you are right in assuming that the rack slipper pad should be flush with the rack body,these pads are designed to wear as they are a softer material than the expensive rack.
You maybe able to get a new one machined locally,and dont forget to refill rack with EP80/90 gear oil on rebuild.

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Thanks again redbaron. Thats what I thought. When the replacement rack was cut down to dia it was left with a machined finish. the original was polished. I thought this one should have been polished as well, otherwise it is just going to wear the new slipper pas down quick time.

I saw in the workshop manual to use oil. When I put it back togther I used wheel bearing grease. Grease seemd to what was used in the Oxford rack and since the ball joints are Oxford I pumped it into those. I am now hoping there is nothing in the grease that will attack the bush.
When I pulled it out of the car at the start it was bone dry .

Cheers Mal

redbaron

Steering rack question

Post by redbaron » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 am

Mal,
It would be better to use oil in the rack as it is more fluid and will coat the gear on the rack and pinnion with more effect,also flow to the bronze brg on the non pinion end.
If you want to use a grease,the Penrite semi fluid Stg Box grease may do, but the manufacturers say it is for stg boxes and do not mention racks.

Yes the Tiger Lower Ball Joints are greased and so are "Oxford" King Pins,

Regards David