Waterless coolant

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
meadowhog

Waterless coolant

Post by meadowhog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Anyone know anything about Evans waterless coolant. Wodan put me onto it.Could it help keep our Tigers cool.

Its boiling point is 180, its freezing point is -40. Its a little worse at heat transfer but doesnt boil so more efficient at higher temps. We wouldn't need a header tank and so create a bit of space for air flow.

190640108315 Item number:ebay

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 am

I was looking at this on trade me here in NZ and was going to ask the same ?.
Does it work ? or does it just empty your wallet ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 771400.htm

marinerblueuk

Post by marinerblueuk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:54 pm

I had a long look at this earlier this year after seeing the product on a stand at the Goodwood revival and picking up a leaflet offering 20% off. If you look through all the stuff on the internet the picture isn't quite as positive as the promotional literature says (surprise, surprise!).
After reading through all the evidence I decided that although people like Jay Leno swear by it a clean properly working cooling system with deionised water with the right amount of antifreeze seemed to work just as well and was a lot cheaper!
I'd be interested to find out if someone has actual experience of using it in a Tiger - I just didn't want to be the guinea pig.

marinerblueuk

Post by marinerblueuk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Being trying to find a link to the articles that I read that put me off using it.
If I remember correctly the main problem related to the simple fact that although Evans coolant had a higher boiling point it wasn't as good as water in absorbing and distributing heat. Quite a lot of users referred to seeing water temperatures increase when using Evans - which isn't neccesarily a bad thing if the boiling point of the coolant is higher but could contribute to higher underbonnet temperatures.
I remember that one article said that if you've plenty of air flow then fine but if you've an engine that was tightly packed then you might end up negating any benefits you got.
Still would like to know if anyone has any real life experience.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Ive seen that too. The big benefit seems to be, no localised boiling point where there are hot spots, say around cylinders and head.

Having said that if the engine bay temp rises, fuel evaporation becomes more prevelant. I'm siding with you for now.

marinerblueuk

Post by marinerblueuk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:54 pm

And there's the other problem that you can't top up with anything other than Evans coolant - if you get more than 3% dilution then you have to drain the lot and start again!