Air filter clearance

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
meadowhog

Air filter clearance

Post by meadowhog » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm feeling defeated. Does anyone have ideas on why I cant get and air filter to fit my angine.

Ive got new engine mounts, I think the gearbox mount is right, bog standard 4 barrel holley, and an Edlbrook streetmaster inlet manifild. No carb spacer.

The only one that I can get to fit is the Edlbrook heart shaped one but the filter eliment is very/too close to the intake and this ahs been chopped on the mounting plate for clearance. Even the float vents have been chopped.

Ive looked at several cars and the only clue I could see, was there are different clearances between the rocker covers and trans tunnel on all cars. My carb does look like it sits high. In a previous life it had a bonnet scoop so wasnt a problem.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Pics?

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 am

Streetmaster, single plain manifold ? from what I have read.
Old design and not as good as newer single plain.
It probably is very high compared to a dual plain intake and probably not necassary unless you have a high reving engine.

A dual plain intake is much better for a street engine. I would stick a rpm on it if it has a cam that will benifit from it, or a performer if the cam is stock or mild.

Mal

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:08 am

Yep, its single plain. Ive also read its not a great manifold (paperweight was one description). Ive looked, but cant find any dimensions for this one so its difficult for me check.

The engines built for 6.5k revs so maybe the manifold was fitted to suit.

If anyone has a height dimension for my paperweight or more to the point, what a normal manifold is I'd much appreciate it.

It gets so hot under my bonnet I might just fit a bonnet scoop, that would solve it.

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:23 am

meadowhog wrote:Yep, its single plain. Ive also read its not a great manifold (paperweight was one description). Ive looked, but cant find any dimensions for this one so its difficult for me check.

If anyone has a height dimension for my paperweight or more to the point, what a normal manifold is I'd much appreciate it.

It gets so hot under my bonnet I might just fit a bonnet scoop, that would solve it.

Simon, I would buy an rpm. A good compromise between a single plain and a performer and will flow better than the streetmaster.

I have an rpm on my engine. I have been told it sould still fit under a Tiger bonnet. I found it very tight.

I will take some measurements for you.

Cheers Mal

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:53 am

There seems to be a 30mm height diff from the 289 manifold that was on the engine to the rpm that i have on the new engine.

I put a 25mm phenolic spacer on the 289 manifold with a round holley small dia air cleaner with a 50mm high element.
If i had used a normal nut to hold the air cleaner top on i would have not put a small dent in the bonnet. But i didn't :oops: .

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 pm

i have an rpm and a stock air filter will fit no problem .i run a deeper filter but have modified it a little to fit .

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks Guys,

I have cheked the original manifold and compared it with this streetmaster thing. Its about 80mm higher! I guess thats a high riseish. I never thought for a second it could be a high rise. Problem found. Dont know why I didnt think to compare them myself. Duh!

Well it seems pretty unanimous, an RPM is the beasty to go for. Not a Torquer II etc.

So boys and girls, dont fit a streetmaster unless you have a big hole in your bonnet or theres nothing else to fit. Or your engine mounts are shot, badly.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Don't forget to let us know the improvement you get from it.

Cheers