Optimate or CTEK battery charger?

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
pushrod

Optimate or CTEK battery charger?

Post by pushrod » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:27 pm

It's the time of year when we start thinking of hibernating our pride Tiger's.

I've used an Optimate battery charger for the past few years on my motorcycle and it constantly monitors the battery during periods of inactivity and always provides a powerful kick to turn over the motor when the weather allows a run during the winter.

However my Optimate 4 isn't suitable for a battery over 50 amp/hr so I need to invest in another charger for the Tiger.

Choices are an Optimate 5 or a CTEK 3.6 or 5.0. Prices vary from £40 - £70.

Any one else use any of these?

Lou.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:46 pm

I went for a CTEK 3.6 charger this time. Used it for a few days.

Generally in comparison to the Optimate it appears to do the same job of charging/trickle charging the battery, both makes will desulphate a battery which will restore some life into an otherwise tired battery.

The CTEK was £45 on Amazon compared to about £60 for an Optimate 5. Auto Express recently tested chargers and the CTEK came out tops. The Optimate is a larger unit with more flashing lights.

I'll post a progress report in the Spring.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Sorry Lou, missed this first time around.

I've been using CTEK for a few years now, and they have been extremely reliable. Batteries have been fine so assume they have been doing there job in keeping the units seasoned.

You are right, in tests they do really well and come highly recommended. I bought one off eBay when they first came out, and the second one I picked up at the NEC classic car show which was on offer at the time.

I actually use one at times on my 'modern' now as I rarely need to use the car :oops: