fuel pumps

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
paulw

fuel pumps

Post by paulw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi
Some advice please on the fuel pump, my one has started to leak its not very old maybe 3 years is there a better one to put in its place, it has a holley if that helps .

Cheers Paul

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:09 am

Hi Paul.

What size engine, cfm on carb and assume you have the standard size fuel line in place, and what is your driving style?

With that info am sure somebody will come up with a suitable modern alternative.

I am running factory standard items, but would be useful to hear what modern units owners are today using.

tigerman7347

Fuel pump

Post by tigerman7347 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 am

You can get an electronic equivelant from SU ,just quote the old pump number. These are much more reliable.
I think the part no is 303729. Remember and ask for neg earth.
Hope this helps Rob

tigerman7347

Re: Fuel pump

Post by tigerman7347 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 am

tigerman7347 wrote:You can get an electronic equivelant from SU ,just quote the old pump number. These are much more reliable.
I think the part no is 303729. Remember and ask for neg earth.
Hope this helps Rob
Was £85 when I got my one.

paulw

fuel pump

Post by paulw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi thanks for that i will follow that one up.

cheers paul

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:20 am

There has been some very enlightening info recently posted on the Tiger List in the USA on the subject of factory SU fuel pumps by Ron Fraser. Ron showed some calculations that converted the shop manual statistics on the pump to a PSI figure. He also showed how the pump's output equated to flow demands of a motor based on horsepower. Bottom line, the standard issue pump in our Tigers is good for a motor putting out about 180 horsepower at WOT. About adequate for the showroom stock 260 and 289 motors, as he notes.

(BTW, when I replaced my stock pump a couple of years ago, there was paperwork in the box that said all pumps made since 2004 are dual polarity so will work with positive or negative earth vehicles.)

If you running a stronger engine than 180 -200 hp, one needs to look into substituting 3/8 inch lines for the factory 5/16 lines and a stronger fuel pump. If you are running a Holley carb, they are set up to work with an a inlet pressure of between 4 and 7 psi, approximately. Most people seem to opt for a pump in the Tiger II trunk position when doing a serious up grade.

A particular problem with installing an aftermarket pump in the stock position is that most must be vertically mounted. That puts the pump motor in closer proximity to the muffler than stock pump and increases the likelihood of heat soak induced failure. If one chooses that route, it makes the need to install a heat shield over the muffler extremely important. Even with the SU horizontally mounted pump, I would recommend it.

Sorry if I am sounding like an authority on this. I am not, but hopefully am an informed consumer of work done by others. I recently have been looking long and hard at this subject and I wanted to share what I have come upon myself regarding this subject. Hope I am being helpful!

Cheers,

Gene :)

paulw

Pump

Post by paulw » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:43 am

Hi
my car runs a 4 barrel and inlet also has had a cam fitted at some time not by me and electronic ignition but dont know what sort of hp that is, was told by a freind about facet pumps but not sure what type they are.

Cheers paul