Oil blowing out of rocker cover breather

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
pushrod

Oil blowing out of rocker cover breather

Post by pushrod » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:50 pm

After a longish run last weekend in hottish conditions there was a small amount of engine oil deposited on the rocker cover having come out of the breather cap. Also noticed the front bumper ahead of the intake had some oil residue.

Anything I need to worry about?

Oil level on the dipstick was OK.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi pushrod,

I actually posted a similar thread a little while back and there are also some similar cases on other forums. Before you head towards checking mechanical checks which would be worst case scenario, make sure your PCV system is fully operational. Check your pcv valve and hoses and also check your breather caps isn't clogged with oil. You can also try and confirm that the actual pcv valve (if you actually have one) is the correct one for the motor.
I actually swapped the pcv valve over recently and over the last few runs, the system seems to be working much better.

Good luck,

Regards, Robin..
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Robin, I haven't tested my PCV system, the left side rocker cover is connected to the carb.

However, since posting the comment I've found out that the breather cap isn't the correct fitment, the same with my air filter which is a Moroso aftermarket unit. The filler cap/breather isn't linked to the air filter via the rubber tube as on the standard set up, this is probably why the oil is being deposited over the top of the rocker/valve cover.

I'm now on the lookout for an original breather cap and filter housing..

Lou
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie