Koni red adjustment

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
bernd_st

Koni red adjustment

Post by bernd_st » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Can anybody give me a hint of how to adjust Front Koni Tiger Dampers?

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Shock absorber off the car with the rod/plunger fully compressed. Old style Koni shocks have approx 3 1/2 to 4 turns (I think from memory) for adjustment by a turn of the plunger, but make sure the plunger is fully compressed and seated into position. It should lock in and then you can feel the pressure in adjusting the desired setting. Clockwise for a harder setting.

Newer style Koni shocks I believe are the same with the plunger fully compressed but have three 'click' settings, soft, medium and hard.

bernd_st

Post by bernd_st » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks will try, even though I'm missing the top covers means only the plungers are there...

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I found the Konis fantastic. set on the hardest setting with springs so hard and short I could get them without compessors. and rears with an extra leaf anf lowered 1 1/2", I could outcorner Golf GTIs easliy.

The only time I stuggled was when going across rough ground. The front would skip out, in effect causing massive understear. This was though very rare but very controlable.

An uprated, lightened, balanced Holbay helped, especially doing doughnuts. You guessed it, it was in an Alpine but it was faster than most Tigers including mine.