Smiths clock repair and fixing nut

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
tigerguy2

Smiths clock repair and fixing nut

Post by tigerguy2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 pm

First a very strong recommendation to anyone seeking an electronic upgrade of a Smiths CE clock. Have a look at www.jaguarclock.com and engage Mike Eck to do the work. He did an excellent job on my clock and his prices are half of what at least one other company in the business charges. And air mail postage for such a small, light item would be very reasonable for you in the UK.

My clock is happily, softly ticking away with the classical mechanical cadence as I write. His electronic circuit board makes the clocks indifferent to positive or negative earth as well. He also very nicely refurbished the casing and polished up the bezel and returned the clock with a rubber ring that goes between the dash and the instrument. My only connection to Mike is as a very happy customer. He is a pleasure to do business personally and I highly recommend him to you should you need assistance. Please have a look at his website for more information.

Secondly, I lost a fixing nut for my clock. After some puzzlement as to what is the actual size, I stumbled onto something called BA gauged nuts. As near as I can tell, I would need something in the BA4 size. Not something my local USA hardware store carries! I can find BA2 and BA3 knurled nuts on ebay.co.uk but none in the BA4 size. There are numerous sellers of that size in a hex nut, that I would be okay with using, if it is indeed correct. Would someone confirm what is the correct size nut and if they know of a supplier of it in a knurled form?

Regards, Gene

martin172

Post by martin172 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi Gene, can't help on the supply front but I've just checked and they are a 4BA thread.

May be a daft question but have you asked the guy who fixed the clock if he had a spare?

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 am

Not a daft question at all. I have not yet, but was thinking if they are so rare and especially hard to get over here, maybe I should see if I can find a small supply somewhere. Never know when another one might take off on me when messing with something out of the dash. If they are right for the clock, I would not be surprised if they are right for some of the other small gauges. I do know the speedo and tach use a larger size though.

Thanks for the confirmation of the size. Just when I thought there was nothing left to learn! Unless someone points me to a supplier, I will just order some of the hex nuts in that size.

Gene

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am

Try putting a wanted post on the CAT site too.
Someone somewhere will have one that they will be willing to let you have.

Good luck with the search.

tigerman7347

Clock nut

Post by tigerman7347 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi, the clock will hold in place with 1 nut. I have a b4 hex nut but not a knurled 1. The other instruments have the same thread so if you found an old gauge,that would solve your problem.

Anyway good luck

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:10 pm

First and foremost many thanks to all who took time to reply and comment. This was certainly not a quest of major importance to the Tiger community.

I just ordered a supply of 4BA brass hex full size nuts on ebay.co.uk and a package of 50 should be on its way soon. Hopefully a lifetime supply. If I have trouble spinning one of them on, I shall enlist my 11 year old grandson with smaller fingers to complete the task. Rides in Grandpa's "zoom zoom" car are always a desired form of compensation.

I was tempted to buy the 50 pack of NOS nuts that was RAF surplus because of the sterling pedigree, but alas international shipment was only available to Europe.

Cheers, Gene

lovejoy

Post by lovejoy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:28 am

Hi there Chicago tigerguy - I have quite a few spare knurled 4BA nuts on old Rootes instruments, both here in the West Indies ( due south of you!) and back in the UK.
Let me know a mailing address, and I'll pop one in the post to you, ok.
- and maybe my friend in Devon would like some too ? :D
ex 928 PP & OPD 134 D MK1's

alpine5gt

Post by alpine5gt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 am

What a gentleman, hope you have a wonderful Easter and Tiger Times beyond. :mrgreen:

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:31 am

Lovejoy,

You are a prince of a fellow to make a such kind offer. And I hope I have that properly cast in the Queen's English in the very positive way intended! I will accept your offer for one of the knurled nuts and PM you my address.

I will gladly compensate you for postage and the nut if you will tell me how best to do that in response to my message. I would also appreciate any opportunity to be of assistance to you!

Cheers,

Gene

tigerman7347

Knurled nuts

Post by tigerman7347 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 am

Lovejoy, are you coming back to the UK then, could do with a couple of nuts to replace the 4ba`s. let me know.

Rootes 66

Post by Rootes 66 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:20 pm

[Lovejoy quote]I have quite a few spare knurled 4BA nuts on old Rootes instruments
[Tigerman7347 quote]The other instruments have the same thread so if you found an old gauge,that would solve your problem.

I think you'll find It's Only the Smiths Clock that uses the 4BA threaded nuts
Pete