Offset query

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
gtsmrt

Offset query

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:37 am

Hi,

Since the Tiger has been in the family, it has had the same rims on it. I run the performance brand superlites, but the rim offset between the front and rear are different. I wouldn't have a clue why this is, but all other Tigers with superlite style rims I have looked at are all the same (front to rear) The fronts are 26 and rear 18 offsets. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:30 am

Hi Robin

The front track is wider so you need much more offset to fit the wheels inside the bodywork. Many people use less offset for the rears to bring the wheels out to compensate so they are more in line with the fronts. I have used a 7" rear with 0 offset before with no problems. Some use all the same offset but put on rear spacers to achieve the same results.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks for the reply Ash. I have never seen the different offset on a local Tiger before and it is only an 8mm difference. The front track is wider than the rear anyway, so I don't understand the decision (seeing as the standard track difference is 8mm, I think they did it to equal the front and rear tracks... which means the rims with the 26 offset should be on the rear??). It just means I can't rotate the wheels (only side to side). Maybe I will eventually buy two more the same, but I guess is not that important. Why is the front track wider?
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:35 pm

I may be wrong but I believe the front is a modified Alpine crossmember but the rear is particular to a Tiger and was probably bought in as near as was availible at the time? Alpine rear axle is wider and nearer to the width of the front?

Offsets generally work out to the bigger the number the shallower the dish so a 26 offset sticks out less than 16 :) .

Things get more complicated when you start talking about positive and negative offset so += further in an -= further out! :mrgreen:

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 am

Ash wrote:I may be wrong but I believe the front is a modified Alpine crossmember but the rear is particular to a Tiger and was probably bought in as near as was availible at the time? Alpine rear axle is wider and nearer to the width of the front?

Offsets generally work out to the bigger the number the shallower the dish so a 26 offset sticks out less than 16 :) .

Things get more complicated when you start talking about positive and negative offset so += further in an -= further out! :mrgreen:
I'm sorry Ash, but I'm not sure what you mean by your first paragraph. Are you implying that my cross-member is not original?. The figure I stated, were from the Tiger workshop manual. Maybe who ever decided to fit the rims on my Tiger, wanted the front and rear tracks equal.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:05 am

No Robin, all Tigers have modified Alpine crossmembers so getting front and rears wheels to look the same is a pain mate :wink: