Brake switch conversion.

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
gtsmrt

Brake switch conversion.

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 am

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has removed their hydraulic brake switch and gone to a mechanical type switch? My hydraulic switch is sticking. From what I have noticed, mine seems to be heat related. It sticks on after travelling a reasonable distance and the returns to normal as the temperature in the engine bay decreases. Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thank you, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

65beam

brake switch

Post by 65beam » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:07 pm

contact bill blue on the SAOCA site. he makes up a kit to mount the switch on the pedal.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:52 am

Thank you for the reply.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:03 pm

It's no wonder I was having problems with my brake switch. My 50 year old switch had definitely seen better days (see picture). The terminals were loose, as well as the sticking contacts. I have installed a new hydraulic switch , so time will tell if it's fixed.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi Robin,

I would say a switch that lasted 50 years must be a record for longevity :mrgreen:

Just curious if during that time you were using silicone brake fluid or not. There is a school of thought out there that the diaphram in these switches deteriorates when silicon fluid is used. Others disagree. And what may have been true in the past may not be true today if they are made differently. I for one have gone to synthetic (not silicone) Dot 3 & 4 brake fluid in recent years since I replaced my switch and some other rubber brake components and have been pleased so far.

Cheers, Gene

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:47 am

tigerguy2 wrote:Hi Robin,

I would say a switch that lasted 50 years must be a record for longevity :mrgreen:

Just curious if during that time you were using silicone brake fluid or not. There is a school of thought out there that the diaphram in these switches deteriorates when silicon fluid is used. Others disagree. And what may have been true in the past may not be true today if they are made differently. I for one have gone to synthetic (not silicone) Dot 3 & 4 brake fluid in recent years since I replaced my switch and some other rubber brake components and have been pleased so far.

Cheers, Gene
Hi Gene,

I have also heard around the traps that very same thing regarding silicon style brake fluids. I have even heard of brand new switches failing prematurely. The last time I replaced the brake fluid, I replaced it with a Dot 5.1 which is compatible with Dot 3 & 4 fluids. I used the AP racing Dot 5.1 which is a non-silicon based fluid. My brake lines have also been upgraded.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a