Faulty fuel gauge/tank sender

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
pushrod

Faulty fuel gauge/tank sender

Post by pushrod » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:27 pm

One of the problems with my recently purchased Tiger is that the fuel gauge doesn't go above half even when the tank is brim full. Fortunately it does work for the bottom half! Both tanks do appear to fill.

Any suggestions?

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Have you checked that the sender is working properly and has full movement. It's very easy to get out of the tank.

Perhaps borrow another gauge from someone so you can pinpoint/eliminate it?

It think that's as far as my helpfulness goes. :(

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:09 am

Hi Pushrod,

Check your voltage regulator. The reg supplies power to both the temperature and fuel gauge. Any problems with the temperature gauge as well? Also check your level sensor in the tank. You can also confirm your gauge by using three resistors to simulate empty, half and full, but I can't remember the values (maybe someone can confirm them).

Regards, Robin
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:14 am

Hi Pushrod
Take the wire off the sender, top of left hand tank, put the ignition on, then put the wire to earth/ground. If the gauge goes to the top, the fault is in the sender.

Harry

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:28 am

Just to expand a bit on what Robin has said, I wanted to be sure you were aware that he is referring to the voltage stabilizer/regulator under the dash, not the one in the engine bay. This stabilizer/regulator provides a more or less constant reference 12volts to the temp and petrol gauges.

Also, if the gauge does not go to full scale when you do the test that Harry recommends, it means the stabilizer or gauge is bad as has already been said. If the stabilizer is bad, then both the temp and petrol gauge will not read correctly, again as already highlighted.

You can confirm the gauge is good by connecting a 9 volt battery to the gauge after disconnecting the dash wiring from it. Positive connection to gauge input and negative to gauge case. It should read 2/3 of scale (i.e., 9volts is 2/3 of 12 volts resulting in a 2/3 of scale reading). That is about 8 gallons on the gauge. BTW, same thing works for the temp gauge and 2/3 scale is about 200 degrees F.

Gene

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Many thanks, a job for later in the week.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie