Killing light rust ?

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Ash

Killing light rust ?

Post by Ash » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:41 pm

I want to neutralize some light rust inside the sills where a sandblaster cannot reach. The sills are very good but as I am restoring the car I want to ensure nothing is left out. I would like to fit some 1" rubber bungs along the inner sills to inject cavity wax etc. Other than having the car acid dipped has anyone used a good product that would work for rust removal?

Cheers
Last edited by Ash on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:35 pm

You could try POR 15 Metal Ready.
What cavity waz are you planning to use. Does it completely seal the rust from oxygen?

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Martin,
I have some Tectyl ML cavity wax that seems to be ok. I bought it for my Pagoda as it is similar to the factory wax. I want to get the inside of the the sills and wings prepared first though.

I have seen Rustbusters FE123 rust converter which has had good revues but thought I would ask the wise what they have been using first! :)

martin172

Post by martin172 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:21 pm

What I was getting at was if you use a cavity wax that seals out oxygen, then the rust shouldn't get any worse and it would save a bit of work because working in sills is a pita.

I've just had a read about FE123 and it sounds like really good stuff.

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks mate,
I hear you about the cavity wax but just want to be sure as prevention is better than cure with these cars and I am a little paranoid when it comes to rust issues :|

martin172

Post by martin172 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 pm

I know what you mean. You do what is needed to keep those voices in the back of your head quiet.

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:06 am

Ash, I don't know if it is available in the UK, but there are some nice products here in the USA made by Eastwood. One of them is called Internal Frame Coating. They also have something called Heavy duty Anti-rust. Both products are available in an aerosol and the second one also in quarts that can be applied with an undercoating gun. There is also an extension wand and nozzle that works with the aerosols. Their website is eastwood.com.

If these products are not available there but could be shipped to the UK it seems worth considering. I will be trying out the Internal Frame Coating in the near future but have no experience with it. However, Eastwood has a generally high reputation for quality products, and high prices.

BTW, it seems many people over here like their Rust Encapsulator product better than POR 15. Easier to work with and at least as good if not better some say.

You could contact them by e-mail to see if it any of their products could be shipped to you in the UK.

No affiliation on my part.

Also while I am on the general subject, I have often seen high praise references to something perhaps like an undercoating product called waxoyl. Exactly what is that?

Gene

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks for that Gene,

I know about Eastwood stuff its very good. Frost sell some of their products over here.
Waxoil is exactly that. A liquid wax that never sets so it sloshes about inside those box sections keeping rust at bay. Some people love it but its a little messy for me as it runs out of any holes and looks untidy. I prefer cavity wax which fully sets once its found its way into the seams and corners etc. :)

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:56 am

As Ash said, Waxoyl is wax mixed with white spirit.
You squirt it on/in and then the white spirit evaporates leaving the wax.

I personally don't like the stuff.
You have to heat it in hot water before and during use, it's messy, stinks and if you apply too thick a layer, which is very easily done, it can be proned to cracking.
The sills of my Tiger are full of the stuff.
I use BiltHamber S50. Now that really stinks.