MOT Test new rules

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
H, Sunny 65

MOT Test new rules

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Lot's of changes to the UK MOT test starting January 2012.
I will try to list some of the new items, that may effect a Tiger passing it's MOT.
To many changes to list all the new stuff, and i don't make the rules. So don't blame me.
A battery leaking or insecure.
Elecrtrical wiring insecure, damaged or detriorated, likely to cause a short circuit.
Any steering or suspension ball joint dust cover missing or detiorated/split, no longer preventing the ingress of dirt. [this will effect a lot of older car's on the road today]
Signs of heat having been applied to any steering or suspension arm's[paint over it]
A brake servo missing, when fitted as standard. [I do know of at least one Tiger with it's sevo removed] Not that many tester's would know it should of had one.
Engine mounting's are now part of the test.
Driver's seat fore & aft adjustment mechanism not functioning.
Lot's of other new stuff, mostly on warning light's, tow bars, rear seats and rear door's, none of this would effect a Tiger.
Hope this is a help, and may just avoid a fail for somone.
If you feel the need to read the manual, you can look it up on the VOSA web site vehicle testing manuals and guides, proprosed testing 2012 class IV V and VII, would have to be a dull day if you wan't to read it all tho.