Fuel Pressure

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
dpuzey

Fuel Pressure

Post by dpuzey » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:09 am

I am running an Edelbrock 500 4 barrel carb on my Tiger with a mildly modified 260 cu in engine. I have set the fuel pressure at 6 psi which is what is recomemded in the Edelbrock literature, however cruising about with the hood up, it smells of fuel. I know one solution would be to put the hood down, and I have also checked for any fuel leaks, but what fuel pressure are other people running?

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Check the rubber breath pipes connecting the twin rear tanks and where it joins the fuel filler rubber pipe below the fuel cap. Common problem with the old rubber perishing and leaking vapour fumes into the cabin. Been there, done that...... :wink:

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:37 am

Hi,

Do you run a fuel regulator? You could try reducing your pressure or is your carboy flooding? What jetting are you running... may be too rich also. When I was running the same carby, I leaned mine down to stage three lean setting (but I have a stock 260).

Regards, Robin.
Last edited by gtsmrt on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

dpuzey

Post by dpuzey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:06 am

Thank you for the replies. I checked with Real Steel and 6 psi is the correct pressure. the Edelbrock instructions are very specific. I know about the hose, but I fitted a new one when I built the car, so only 5 years old. It might be the pump leaking, but guess it really need setting up on a rolling road. Or I just drive with top down all the time!

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:41 pm

Have you checked float levels? Try ignition on with air filter off & look to see if any petrol coming out of breathers at top of carb.

V Mad

Post by V Mad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:53 am

I have had a fuel smell getting worse for ages now. Yesterday I found that it was damp with fuel at the rubber hose which joins the tank to the large steel tube going to the rear. I tightened the clip and dug out all the old smelly wet dust at the bottom, and now the smell has gone.

Great! :)
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk