Removing engine mounts

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
gtsmrt

Removing engine mounts

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:01 am

Hi,

I am looking at removing an engine mount, but unfortunately do not have an engine hoist at my disposal. What is the best way to support the engine while removing the mount? Your advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:21 pm

gtsmart,

The cheap way is to use a trolley jack with a large load-spreading piece of wood (about 3/4 inch thick) under the sump. You may need to beg, steal or borrow a low-profile racing jack if clearance is a problem.

Alternatively splash the cash and pick up an engine crane from here:
http://cars.shop.ebay.com.au/Car-Truck- ... op=2&_sc=1

You will be able to recoup most of your outlay when you come to sell because there is always a big demand for such items.
Or, you could hire it out in the local area.
Don't buy chains. Go to the breakers yard and get two long seat belts. Tie them off at a suitable length to fit under the front pulley and rear of sump.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:31 am

Thanks for your reply and once again you're certainly on the ball and very helpful. I actually used my trolley jack to take the weight under the bell housing which seemed to work. I wanted to keep away from the sump just incase the weight caused it to collapse (both methods are probably just as bad though). If I had pre-planned a bit, I could have borrowed a hoist from a friend.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE