How many left?

Post infomation or questions about vehicle & production numbers
Brad1380

How many left?

Post by Brad1380 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Stumbled across this from the department of transport, quite interesting putting other cars into the search engine too.

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=sunbeam+tiger

gvickery
Site Admin

How Many Tigers Survive

Post by gvickery » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Brad

We have known of these stats for the Tiger since the DVLA and Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders began to make them available to car clubs. The trouble I have with them is I don't believe them!

I think these DVLA numbers are only a head count of Tigers that are 'Taxed' or on a 'SORN', in this case 330 or thereabouts. That said, we know there are a large number of Tigers on our Register that are neither 'taxed' or on a 'sorn'. If we look at the register of cars STOC last published in 2006 and at the 2nd sort of - Tigers in the U.K. (less the 50 listed overseas) that shows a total of 550 approx.

Of this number undoubtedly a fair few have been lost since the register was first established or have left the country unknown to the Club.
Importantly, the oldest entry we have of a registered but 'untaxed' Tiger has it on the DVLA data base as untaxed since 1978.

So hard as it is to believe our Register has over 200 Tigers more than the DVLA! We are comforable that the Register is compiled correctly but even I can't believe there are upto 200 potential barn finds out there!

Yep, incredulous!

Graham
STOC Editor

Tomaselli

Re: How Many Tigers Survive

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:21 pm

gvickery wrote:we know there are a large number of Tigers on our Register that are neither 'taxed' or on a 'sorn'.
Indeed, I can see a few more barn finds coming to light now. Combination of now elderly "1st generation" owners who never got round to restoring there pride and joy, and with higher market values it may well just flush a few onto the market.

Met such a situation a few weeks ago, a classic car owner saw me in mine came over and said;

"I know where there is one of them, been stored by the widow of the orginal owner over the last 25 years"

vanhool1

Post by vanhool1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:41 pm

I have also heard similar stories, with one owner in Suffolk prepared to allow a once good car (that he owned from new) to rot away in a damp lockup :( all because he feels it is worth a lot more than it really is.

There are i'm sure a number of Tiger's tucked away with people having lost interest or even long forgotten. We can recall a time when Tiger's were not in demand, with tales of Tiger's being converted back into Alpine's. My dad at one point was offered a Series IV Alpine and a Tiger came with it for free. That i'm glad to say was the only one we let pass by :D

dpuzey

Post by dpuzey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 am

The information on these lists only covers cars that are taxed or SORN'd. There is another group of cars that are still listed as neither and DVLA have not released these numbers. I think SORN was introduced in early 1998, and if you car was off the road at that time you did not have to SORN it. When I bought my Tiger in 2005 it was not SORN'd as it had been off the road since 1978, I applied to DVLA to SORN the car and they replied they were unable to as it had been off the road since 1978.

I know of atleast one Tiger near me that falls into this category and another friend with 3 classic car projects non of which are taxed or SORNd, and guess this might account for the difference in numbers.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 am

Readers of 'Cats Whiskers' would have got this update on the STOC Register of Tigers in the latest issue (No 86) but for the wider community here is a summary of the 'state of play' in Blighty.

"The DVLA reckon they have 330 Tigers on record - 270 TAXED and 60 on SORN (officially off the road), compared with the total of 550 Tigers in our Register we believe to be domiciled in the United Kingdom & Channel Islands. The latest quick & dirty analysis of machines in the STOC register confirms that the DVLA do not disclose in 'survivorship' lists cars that are UNTAXED or cars that never migrated from their original logbook to the automated V5 document the DVLA began issuing around 1980.

It was a quick piece of research but it confirms that STOC knows of 99 Tigers that are UNTAXED and a further 93 cars XDVLA i.e the DVLA on-line enquiry returns nothing. Whilst these are imperfect stats, it seems to me at any rate that the UK Tiger count looks very roughly like this:

270 TAXED / 60 SORN / 99 UNTAXED / 93 XDVLA = 522

This new total is still short of the last formal count of 550 but goes a long way to explain the original discrepancy. So it can almost be safely said there are in excess of 180 Tigers out there waiting for time and funds to restore or re-commission them. But no doubt many of these are probably lost and only survive digitally!!

Graham
STOC Editor

martin172

Post by martin172 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Has anyone checked Peter Matthews' back garden?

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:20 pm

The 14 Peter once had have long gone. In fact none are left with him now!!

I think the biggest pride of Tigers in one place in the UK now is a more modest 5!!!

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:44 am

gvickery wrote:I think the biggest pride of Tigers in one place in the UK now is a more modest 5!!!
Now is that greedy or showing off? :lol:
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE