The 1992 Manx Classic Races

Post questions or information about Tigers and Motorsport
Tomaselli

The 1992 Manx Classic Races

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Have recently come across an old VHS tape covering a brief documentary on the Isle of Man classic race meet from 1992.

Sure you'll agree it makes interesting viewing and you may recognise a few of the Tigers competing 8)

Have edited down the VHS, but if somebody wants the full file (either as AVI or MP4) then let me know - but in the meantime have loaded on YOUTUBE

Crab a coffee and enjoy....... :D
Last edited by Tomaselli on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:26 pm

That's really great!
I was going to ask what was coming out of the bottom of No 67 but we soon found out. :cry:

I not normally a fan of crustaceans in my hot beverages, but I may give it a go. It could catch on. :D

P.s. I'd be interested in seeing the whole video please.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Excellent thank you.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:08 am

Did you post this just to embarrass someone in a green Mk II Tiger?? :lol:
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:31 pm

gtsmrt wrote:embarrass someone in a green Mk II Tiger?? :lol:
No, I don't think Mr Smallridge will mind at all. 8) Most of the racers of Tigers have had some embarrassing moments, must be something to do with the lively rear end :wink:

I heard from STOC member Bill Withey earlier today, now he was the driver of that Tiger that rolled towards the end - and thankfully with no serious injury. It appears that the FIA stopped the Manx Classic meet shortly afterwards as the speeds were far too fast for them to be comfortable with. 147mph or so down the speed traps on the straights! I was indeed wondering why the event no longer took place, shame really as it's on my doorstep :D

Oh yes, after checking the times by the officials Bill came in 3rd and not 4th as originally shown on the leaderboard - so a good all round result with Jackie Cochrane winning later in the day :lol:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Looks very much like the Manx Classic is back on the "events" calendar and website providing all the info and some videos/photos can be found here (you'll just see a Tiger in the main vid)

From the results page we can see that in the 2010 Governors' Sprint race that the Tiger of Alistair Simpson get's a result; :P

Class 2D : Pre 1968 Classic Cars over 3000cc
Alistair Simpson - Sunbeam Tiger - 65.66

Some more images of fellow competitors at the event from the Manx Classic website can be found on their Flickr page

..........now where I did I put my slicks :wink:
Last edited by Tomaselli on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks for the additional pictures... great action shots. Keep them coming.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:19 am

I remember the pictures and articles about the manx in the late 90's (IIRC there was a Team Tiger feature in CLASSIC CARS in 1995?) There was the LM Tiger and ex works rally car and a team of others with A shot of Jackies dark blue or black Tiger looking absolutely stunning (looking like a lowered larger wheeled version of the HSC car) I had that photo of him taking the hairpin on my computer deskto for maybe 2 years.

I believe the Tiger dominated the event for a while, in botht he TT circuit race, hillclimb and promonade sprint. Would be great tot see those cars back and tearing up the island.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:45 am

gtsmrt wrote:great action shots.
Cannot take any credit for these I'm afraid, but am indeed hoping to go this year (as a spectator) and as it'll be my first visit to the island I'll probably not take the car. Ferry terminal literally, is across the road from my office in Liverpool, so will go as a foot passenger - hopefully I will be able to get some pics.

Cannot tell just yet though from the website, whether there will be any Tigers taking part but it would be good to see one or two taking part. Clearly, the Tigers are very competitive on the event.

Whilst the Manx Classic is only a small affair of its former self, it would be great to go as it's so close but it does clash over the weekend with the inaugural Donington Historic Festival that I'd really like to go to. :)

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:36 am

Tomaselli wrote:
gtsmrt wrote:great action shots.
Cannot take any credit for these I'm afraid, but am indeed hoping to go this year (as a spectator) and as it'll be my first visit to the island I'll probably not take the car. Ferry terminal literally, is across the road from my office in Liverpool, so will go as a foot passenger - hopefully I will be able to get some pics.

Cannot tell just yet though from the website, whether there will be any Tigers taking part but it would be good to see one or two taking part. Clearly, the Tigers are very competitive on the event.

Whilst the Manx Classic is only a small affair of its former self, it would be great to go as it's so close but it does clash over the weekend with the inaugural Donington Historic Festival that I'd really like to go to. :)
Sounds like a great weekend. I wish there were more classic events down-under. Make sure your camera is charged, even if there are no Tiger's running it would be well worth a look. One year I would love to go to the Goodwood festival of speed... now that would be a awesome festival.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:54 am

Ooh, it nice to see Donnington are having an historic festival. Right on my doorstep. :D

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:46 pm

gtsmrt wrote:I wish there were more classic events down-under.
It's indeed proving a problem here to the other extreme - so many classic events in the UK now my diary and calendar of events for this year is already looking rather full 8) Will need to negotiate "brownie points" with Mrs T me thinks..........(though that sounds expensive!) :oops:

bigbob

Isle of Man

Post by bigbob » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:53 pm

If I remember correctly, the regulations were changed to stop Tiger domination. I think that they insisted on 13" wheels & original brakes, which rather handicapped modified Tigers. Maybe someone knows the full story.

Dave Smallridge

Post by Dave Smallridge » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Memories !! - The Manx Classic was a fantastic event which I took part in each year from 1992 to 1999 - although perhaps 1992 was'nt my most impressive year !! The Tigers had a tremendous presence with Jackie leading the way. The 'Night Life' was at least as much fun as the racing, late nights and early mornings - usually took about a week to recover when we got back home. Yes the modified Tigers were effectively banned when we were told we had to run 13 inch wheels limiting our brake diameters - (the cars being clocked at over 130mph down the start finish straight on the sprint around Douglas and then having to brake hard and turn sharp left with a petrol station next to the run off area !!) I will have to get round to writing an article for the mag now it is nearly 20 years ago that we all had that fun.
Just to balance my image following the spin in 1992 hillclimb - I managed not to spin in the 1999 SLOC and achieved FTD - beating the local hero Alan Lloyd who was running his modified V12 E Type. Tigers in fact won their class and were fastest overall in the Hillclimb,Sprint and Jurby Race in 1999 - perhaps that was why we were banned !!!

Dave Smallridge

Post by Dave Smallridge » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Sorry - make that TURN RIGHT at the petrol station.