The 1992 Manx Classic Races

Post questions or information about Tigers and Motorsport
gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Dave Smallridge wrote:Memories !! - The Manx Classic was a fantastic event which I took part in each year from 1992 to 1999 - although perhaps 1992 was'nt my most impressive year !! The Tigers had a tremendous presence with Jackie leading the way. The 'Night Life' was at least as much fun as the racing, late nights and early mornings - usually took about a week to recover when we got back home. Yes the modified Tigers were effectively banned when we were told we had to run 13 inch wheels limiting our brake diameters - (the cars being clocked at over 130mph down the start finish straight on the sprint around Douglas and then having to brake hard and turn sharp left with a petrol station next to the run off area !!) I will have to get round to writing an article for the mag now it is nearly 20 years ago that we all had that fun.
Just to balance my image following the spin in 1992 hillclimb - I managed not to spin in the 1999 SLOC and achieved FTD - beating the local hero Alan Lloyd who was running his modified V12 E Type. Tigers in fact won their class and were fastest overall in the Hillclimb,Sprint and Jurby Race in 1999 - perhaps that was why we were banned !!!
Hi Dave,
Sounds like some fun times and a real shame the Tiger's had to run 13" rims. Surely the organisers could have added another group to allow for modifications or handicap system. Someone obviously didn't like Tiger's winning :D .
Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Dave Smallridge wrote:it is nearly 20 years ago that we all had that fun
Certainly sounds like you a great time :mrgreen: