Sunbeam Challenge Race 9 Oct

Post questions or information about Tigers and Motorsport
B9471845

Sunbeam Challenge Race 9 Oct

Post by B9471845 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Make sure your diaries are marked for the second all-Sunbeam race this year, again sponsored by J.O. Engineering, part of the AMOC weekend at Donington Parl on 9th October.

Turnout is looking excellent, potentially the biggest-ever Sunbeam Challenge, with at least 2 Le Mans Alpines as well as Tony Eckford's LM Tiger lined up, and several other Harringtons looking to join. Press coverage is being sought for what promises to be a fabulous gathering of Sunbeam race cars.

At the sharp end we hope to see David Smallridge back out in his re-engined car, challenging Jackie, Chris Beighton and Zoe for a podium place.

Enough FIA cars should be there to justify a class of their own, and this might be the first track encounter for the very fast Neil Merry and Simon James FIA Tigers, should be interesting! I hope to be driving the video platform around as usual and looking forward to filming some good dicing with the Alpines!

Come along to support the STOC racers!

B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Entries are building up for the Sunbeam Challenge, including David Smallridge to challenge Jackie at the front, Chris Draycott looking to repeat his Alpine victory, Neil Merry aiming to be the fastest FIA car, and a Hillman Minx as part of the extended Rootes Group eligibility.

Hoping to confirm the biggest ever entry before end of September!

gvickery
Site Admin

Sunbeam Challenge

Post by gvickery » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:15 pm

This Sunbeam Challenge is shaping up to be a very good one.

Tristan Bradfield has obtained a bunch of FREE entry tickets for the Donington event and we anticipate having all supporting Tigers in the Paddock.

Those wanting a FREE entry ticket(s) should contact Tristan soonest by email or phone. His contact details are in Cats Whiskers.

More news later.

Graham
STOC Editor

B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Entries already in double figures, normally this is only achieved 3 minutes before the entry deadline...

Many of the Tigers will also be doing the Intermarque race, where Team Tiger are looking to confirm 3rd place in the Championship and Tristan is yet again looking at possible outright championship victory (unfortunately it's not like the Schneider trophy, he doesn't get to keep it for good!).

So a double helping of Tiger race action!

gvickery
Site Admin

SUNBEAM CHALLENGE

Post by gvickery » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:15 pm

There's a big grid for the upcoming Sunbeam Challenge for Sports & Saloon cars!!
FREE entry ticket(s) can be obtained from Tristan Bradfield. His contact details are in Cats Whiskers.

Go for it.

Graham
STOC Editor

B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:41 am

Great turnout of racers and supporters for Saturday's race, in cloudy, dark and cold conditions.

The grid was unfortunately depleted in qualifying, first by Chris Draycott's Alpine throwing a rod, and secondly in the 50s team qualifying when Keith Hampson's Le Mans Alpine lost a wheel in a frightening incident right in front of me, thankfully at the slowest part of the circuit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LLO1n3lWX0

The race itself suffered some attrition as first the Le Mans Tiger retired, then Dave Smallridge's monster, on its first race outing in son William's hands, had a fuel pump fuse problem.,

Jackie Cochrane went on to win with Zoe second in the "Tigress". A great battle ensued midfield with the mildly modified cars of Tristan, Paul Clayson and Andy Yates, with Simon James taking the FIA class. Alpine honours went to Steve Chapman's Harrington, and special mention must be made of George Shackleton hauling the Hillman Minx around in its second ever race, and first outing for some years.

Full results at:
http://www.tsl-timing.com/amoc/2010/104054.pdf

First lap in-car with the slowest Tiger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBwbSeDScyU

Jackie also won the Intermarque race, with David Smallridge's car (now fixed) in 5th, JUST ahead of Zoe.

Looking forward to some pics from club snapper Tony!

I await confirmation but I believe the strong turnout enabled Team Tiger to claim 3rd in the Championship, and Tristan looks like he is overall Champion again! Well done all!

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:04 pm

I now see what Keith meant when he said it almost rolled. That was hairy.

JAYANDSHEL

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Looked like a very scarry moment for keith hope there is not much damage :shock:
Like the vids of in car, Andrew 8) have you got some more of other races in the Tiger would love to seem them

Jay

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:24 am

and secondly in the 50s team qualifying when Keith Hampson's Le Mans Alpine lost a wheel in a frightening incident right in front of me, thankfully at the slowest part of the circuit:
Very nearly wasn't the slowest part. If it had come off 2/3rds of the way down that straight it could have been disasterous.
What failed ?

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Looking at the video i'd say that he had an axel failure, The alpines have a slight rep for this during track work. Steve Alcala in the states had that happen in his Sebring Tribute car while autocrossing (he also has restored an orignal sebring SII) ther are some period pics of alpines gogin over for the same reason and an aussie historic racer had the same.. the best soluition rules allowing is to modify to a fully floating trear end.

Hope the car is not to damaged.. it was only recently back on track?
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Keith and Dave are studying the bits thoroughly to determine the root cause and how to ensure it doesn't happen again.

3001 RW returned to the track in May, for the first time in decades, and it performed successfully at Le Mans Classic.

AMOC have just confirmed that Team Tiger came 3rd in the Intermarque - well done to all but particularly Tristan and Paul who scored 2/3 of our points - and that Tristan is overall Champion, again!

bigbob

sunbeam race

Post by bigbob » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Nice footage. Are you sure you didn't forget to release the handbrake though?

B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:35 pm

No, I remembered the handbrake alright, it was the old beer can that had rolled under the accelerator that slowed me down. Otherwise I'd have been right up with the rest of them.

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 am

I am a little suspicious of the guy with the camera in his car. He has that coss on his windshield and not long after the two red dots line up the wheel of the Alpine mysteriously comes off. :wink: :mrgreen:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Great report Andrew!
B9471845 wrote:Looking forward to some pics from club snapper Tony!
Indeed, I managed to take my instamatic on the day.....

A few pics from the day below, and a few more can be found on my online gallery.

Great support from the spectators

Some superb machinery racing on the day Image

Caught this on the Ferrari race, first lap and first corner - amazing nobody touched!!Image