In for a penny

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:23 am

Martin, thanks, I think it looks good too. Quite subtle once the bumper is on. He has joined the chassis rails together which is hidden under the the top sheet metal of the valance. He has also filled the gap from the lower valance sheet metal to the metal used to block the gap and force the air through the radiator. Good and strong now.
Dip stick was out temporairaly.

Robin thanks. I am hoping to have it going for next summer. I don't think you would be able to machine much off the carb flange. There is not a lot of extention above the runners. I am still working out what to use for a air cleaner. If I want to use a phenolic spacer as well, we may bulge the bonnet. But it has to be low and subtle.

Gary. I am really pleased with the quality of the work he is doing. Joins are all lead filled, and lead used elswhere, where he can. Not to much plastic filler being used. Just where needed for fairing. Epoxy primes the bare metal first to stop moisture from being traped between the filler and metal, which will cause it to rust.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 am

garyv8tiger wrote:
gtsmrt wrote:Hi Mal,

The front valance has come up very nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product. How long until it is complete? In regards to your clearance issue, you may have to get the intake manifold machined where the carby sits. A local member installed an RPM air gap manifold and had to machine it to fit. I think approximately 1/2" was removed and I think the air gap's are higher again than the RPM. What air cleaner are you using?

Regards, Robin.
metal work is spot on ,far better than we get in the uk,i have an rpm airgap on a 302 and it fits under the bonnet with a stock air filter
That's interesting, there must be something different going on with the local member. Possibly the motor is sitting higher due to the non-standard steering rack. Is yours the standard steering rack?
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Mal,

The way they have scooped foward on thew front cowl opnening has been done really nicely, its a very professional and subtle job.. good things take time.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 am

[/quote]Mal,

The way they have scooped foward on thew front cowl opnening has been done really nicely, its a very professional and subtle job.. good things take time.

Michael

To be honest the opening is from a donar car. It came with the chin spoiler and was very close to the same shape and size. Just opened up the front below the bumper right up. He still had to fit it the ends and make up the sheet metal to block off the escaping air.
He does a good job and is a good bloke as well.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:23 am

The front in primer :D :D :D :D 8) 8)

Image[/img]

and some shiny stuff on the inner guard :D :D 8) . You can also see how the front sheet metal is finished up to the raidiator surround.

Image[/img]
Last edited by Mal on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Mal,

A splash of colour always looks good even if it is on the inside of the guard. The front valance really looks good.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:45 am

It's looking real good Mal. 8)

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 pm

car looks great ,pity about the colour :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

that rare red colour ,4000 tigers left and 3000 are red :mrgreen:

but then colur choice is a personal thing

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 am

Thanks guys.

Gary, the car has been that colour all it's life, so I thought it may as well stay that way. Being new paint it is much brighter than the old paint. :wink:

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:03 am

ignore me mal ,red dosnt do anything for me on tigers ,car looks great love the front valance , :mrgreen:

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:50 am

I wanted to use a bonnet bulge instaed of a scoop to create enough space for the carb and rpm intake. I liked the E type bonnets with the bulge and louvres. I am not a great lover of the LAT bonnets.
I found another bonnet with a fibreglass scoop on it, so we did this to it.
A few pieces cut out of donar bonnets. Best of all I still have the original bonnet untouched.

Image[/img]
Last edited by Mal on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 am

Mal,

Some interesting work on that.. 1 thing.. the louvers seem to be very far back.. im wondering if they are not going to be sitting largely over the scuttle?

The vents are most effective around the header area and just infront of the scuttle where the heat gathers, might just be the perspective in the pics, but yours look a long way back.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:34 am

Michael, the louvres are mainly over the engine bay, though the last 1/4 is over the scuttle. You are probably right, but they will still let out heat. In the perefect world, I would have liked the bulge to come a little further forward on the bonnet and a little raised and open at the rear. We had to make this out of donar parts so it hard enough finding something that would give us this. The shape of the bulge is the same as the bonnet so it marrys well that way.
What you see is all steel. There is no filler of any type in there. All fully welded and still straight.
He made an interesting comment on the way the different metals worked. The old original British was far easier than the modern metal of the bolge.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 pm

I like it Mal.
Can't wait to see it painted.
If you had managed to to keep it open to the elements at the rear, you could have had one of those nice little chrome plated grilles like thy have on E- types.
It looks like you have found a gifted tin basher there.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Mal,

I'm with Martin... I am wanting to see the finished product 8) . It gives it that muscle car look and with the positive pressure from the fan, I'm sure it will expel the heat sufficiently where the louvres are fitted.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a