In for a penny

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 am

Michael, the windscreen was a little wobbly, but only just. That door pillar needs a fair amount of work as water has been where it should'nt.
Once that has been fixed there is still a lot of work needed in other areas.
Spring pearches, X frame work. It has been done before, but.

It has to be an original Tiger. No one would have put the amount of work that has been done before into an Alpine body and then turned it into a Tiger.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:57 am

Mal,

You do realise that with all that fresh new metal you are welding in, the extra weight will mean that you'll need a bigger unit than a 260!

:wink:

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:30 am

Up date pic's. After seeing the tiger resto in the latest cats whiskers I don't feel so bad now.

Image[/img]

New water chanel welded in.
Image[/img]

Sill work on the drivers side.
Image[/img]

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 am

Hi Mal,

It looks like it is coming along nicely with all those fresh new panels. I hope you weren't affected by the earthquake. No reports of injuries on our local news which is good to hear.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:09 am

Hi Robin. The car is starting to take shape. The panel beater is doing a very good job. Still waiting on some patch panels and fulcrum pins. there are some hours going into the body, but now it will be strong , straight and most importantly SAFE.

The earth quake in Christchurch has been a bigee. There has been some serious injuiry, but for the damage caused we have been very lucky. So far no loss of life. Family I have there are all ok, so that's a relief.
Thanks Mal

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Mal wrote:Family I have there are all ok, so that's a relief.
Just seen the news, good to hear all your family OK, that certainly was a good size quake :shock:

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:50 am

At last an up date pic, Although there are a few hours still remaining.
Image[/img]

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi Mal,

Everything looks like it is coming along nicely. Is all the panel work done on the drivers side now? Great job, keep up the good work.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

JAYANDSHEL

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Nice work looks like it will be a really nice car, keep the updates coming :)

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:12 am

Thanks guys. He is doing a good job. The bulkhead on both sides are all repaired now. The lower 1/3 of them was not even there. He has both sides of the car at the same stage now. The next stage is to repair the front drivers side chassis rail and get the front guards on, some repair work around the bonnet hinges.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:33 am

Mal,

It ocurs to me to ask you if you have checked the rear spring hangers and panhard rod mounting? Thery are weak points, even if they are OK you should brace them. if you go to modtigerengineering.com there are a series of PDF's you can get to show you what/where to brace.

The other thing is it would be a good time to brace the front spring towers and fulcrum pins.. the old story of scope creep.. but hey.. while its apart.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:44 am

Michael.
Thanks for the link. Once we have the body panels sorted we will spin the car over and do the spring hangers. They do need some attention. We are also going to enlarge the holes in the X frame for a 2" exhaust.
We rewelded the shock tower welds, should we do more ?.
I have replaced the lower fulcrum pins with the heavy duty ones from Simon at Sunbeamsupreme. I will replace the bolts with arp bolts or studs.

The panhard rod needs one end replacing. There seems to be verying views on it's need to be there at all, so any input hear is welcome.
I have seen on ebay rear sway bars for the Tiger. Is this a better way to go ?.

Cheers

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:31 am

Mal,

On the front suspension, you need to check the unit is still true, i will try and dig up the cross referenceing dimensions so you can make sure its all aligned. You then doa series of bracing welds round the towers, you also add a brace (cut tube welded on) for the fulcrum pins.. will see if i can dig all the info up.. otherwsie if you buy a set of the CAT club shop notes they are in there.

As for the X frame.. for 2" i don thtink you need to oprn the holes.. you can get an ovaled exuast peice to pass though save moding it without the need.

as for the panhard rod.. there are differing opinions.. the standard one being that in MKI and MKII form it doesnt work well. Also to clarify.. panhard rods dont stop axel tramp etc.. they are for locating the axel.

If you are addressing tramp use traction bars (not weld ons) or a torque arm (check into dan walters versin for the tiger)

Rear sway bars.. NO!!!!! the car will be very twitchy..
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks Michael, any info on the front end will be very helpfull. i have the info on the final fulcrum pin fix from tigers united if that is what you are talking about. Save you the trouble of digging it up if it is. I was going to do it, but I thought the up grade to the new stronger pins and arp bolts would be enough for a road car.
You gave me the info on the dan walters tourqe arm earlier, which I have saved. Thanks again.

Cheers Mal

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:01 am

A few more update pic's.

We are scratching our heads over the unusual shaped opening for the raidiator surround. It is not square. Is this correct :?: [/img]

Cheers Mal
Last edited by Mal on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.