In for a penny

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Brad

yes it's every 6 months. Bit of a pain for classic cars as you do so few miles in them really. Then there is always someone there who is keen to want to know all about it. The inspector once worked for a Rootes group dealership and had not seen a Tiger since the mid 60's. When it passed I said thanks a lot. He said thanks for the opportunity, so everyone was happy.

For general use cars they do pick up any problems early though, which is good.

Martin, inner speedo cable was remade to the correct length and now works perfectly. Needle is nice and steady.

It's a nice sunny winters day here. I can see a country drive and perhaps a picnic lunch maybe the order of the day :D

Mal

Leaking Toploader

Post by Mal » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:16 am

I tackled the leaking Top-loader today. I found a thread on the CAT forum where ramseyt took the top of the box by undoing the 4 bolts to the bellhousing, removing the mount, speedo cable and shifter, then rotating the box enough to get at the top cover bolts. So that's what I did.

Rotated gearbox

No gasket :x not very good really since this box was done by a professional trans shop.

Just sealer used

Made my own out of .62mm gasket paper. Not sure if this is close to what is used. Chime in if you know.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 pm

This is a alternative fix. Apparently used in the Cobra. Braze in an elbow to the vent hole and connect a tube up high into the engine compartment.
Seemed a good option as I did not have to remove the gear box.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Nice bit of improvisation Mal.

Are you going to fit a vent at the top of the hose as a safeguard?
If a small bit of grit etc gets in the hose, it will almost certainly get into the box as the hose will act as a guide.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:38 am

martin172 wrote:Nice bit of improvisation Mal.

Are you going to fit a vent at the top of the hose as a safeguard?
If a small bit of grit etc gets in the hose, it will almost certainly get into the box as the hose will act as a guide.
Good idea Martin. A vent or small filter would do the job.
Just took it for a quite drive :lol: :wink: everything seems fine. I will put it up on the ramps tomorrow to check for any leaks.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 am

I decided to power steer the car. The Tiger rack I had previously redone had play in the rack. The pinion can't have been cut properly.
Power steering will be nice once fitted. The rack is out of a RX7 series 6 FD, 2.7 turns lock to lock. I think they are quite similar to the MX5 rack. I have had some help from Jim in the states who has a MX5 rack fitted to his Tiger.

This is how I have mounted it. I will have to have this modification certified.

5mm plate with counter sunk bolts to the original mounts

Using the original RX7 mounts to connect to the plate.

The other end

Rack bolted in and radiator fitted. The radiator will need the bottom hose connection redone and brought out and straight up.

Tom_HRO260

Column to rack

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 am

Hi Mal
As usual it looks as though you've started quite the engineering project there! I've often wondered why RHD cars didn't use a different radiator seeing as though you can get a pump that has LH outlet - at least you'll have the unobtaniaum chunk of ally as a momento now...
What are you using as far as coupling to rack is concerned? You may be across this already, but this link is for a mob Stateside that have a decent array of unis and other steering components
http://www.borgeson.com/
Looking forward to hearing how the PS feels (and good luck with the rack/end geometry!)
Cheers T

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Tom, It's looking like it is not going to work. The Rx7 series6 rack is to wide (width of rack without inner rack ends on).
I cut down the inner tie rods and set it up so the over all width was the same width as I had before.
On full lock the inner tie rods were binding on their ball joints.
The MX5 (MIATA ) rack is a better width, basically the same as the Tiger rack. I will have to find one.

Flaming river do the universal joints as well.

Cheers Mal

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 am

Looks like it will be a very neat installation when completed there Mal.

A hydraulic power steering systems certainly gives you more 'feedback' for a driver than the mini electric power steering conversion that is available.

Have seen Jim's setup and it does look very neat.

Let me know when you are also engineering an air-con kit :mrgreen:

Tom_HRO260

MX5 rack acquisition

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:09 am

Hi Mal
Sorry to hear the RX7's going to be on the large side. I hope you have access to some grey import stock over there. I did some research on reconditioned MX5 racks here and all require a core changeover. The going rate here is around $395AUD for the rack but you get slugged $200 for a core deposit without a changeover. I did see them lower (around the $250 mark) but they have a much larger core charge. My guess is that means a scour through the wreckers (or breakers if that's the lingo translation) for you.
Good luck with the hunt.

Oh, and I'd be subscribing to Tomaselli's AirCon kit - 45deg C here last week (great for Tennis!!)

Cheers

T

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:00 am

Tom ,you may be best to get a used one off ebay over there. Probably cheaper than a wrecker. I have one now and it will be going in as is. If it needs a rebuild at some stage I will worry about it then. I know it's nice to know when you bolt something in it's all set to go, but passed experience with these things doesn't mean they will be.

If you guys want air con I think someone better come up with a serpentine belt drive, if you can get one to fit the space between the balancer and rack.

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:22 pm

I run 8 rib serpentine pullies ok on my tiger to power the supercharger & alternator. There is room between damper & rack to fit one and leave enough room to get belt on. See if I can remember how to load a picture.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:06 am

MX5 Fitted. Centre of the rack shaft is the same distance from the mounts as the Tiger rack.

Plenty of room around the pinion, but I still don't think I will be able to use the aluminium elbow. Hyd fitting will get in the way. Fan belt just goes on.
I think you could get a double pulley on the crank if you had one made up.
The second groove would need to be between the balancer and the one that is already there. You would need to machine some of the pulley mounting lugs to get enough thickness in the pulley for double grooves, I would think.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:24 pm

Looks it will be a very neat installation, great work :P

How many turns lock to lock will you have on the MX5 compared to the standard Tiger setup?

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 am

Tomaselli wrote:Looks it will be a very neat installation, great work :P

How many turns lock to lock will you have on the MX5 compared to the standard Tiger setup?
Thanks Tony. It is 2.7 turns lock to lock. I think the Tiger rack is 3.2.