Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Mal

In for a penny

Post by Mal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:55 am

[/imgImage
[/img]Image

In for a pound.

And this is the good side.
Last edited by Mal on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:44 am

Mal,

Ouch... BUT.. at least you will know exactly where the car is after you have finshed.

Out of interest, i know you bought the car in the states, what was the condition as reported to you?

Were you planning on doing body work before you purchased it, or when you decided to paint.. you got suprises?
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 am

Mal,

Another thought,

Given you have now stripped the car are you going to go RHD?

I had never cared to go RHD as the car is working well and it would require cutting, welding and repainting in the engine bay.. but as you are now in bits.. would be a good opportunity.
Michael King

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:27 am

I don't know if the legislation changed in NZ as it did in OZ, but I don't think it's worth converting to RHD. Not to mention trying to find a RHD rack (unless you already have one).
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:06 am

Michael, Robin, it is a RHD Tiger. I bought it from Germany. It is a RRO car destined for export to a RHD country but ended up in germany. It had Alpine 260 badges on it and the vin stamped to the fierwall.

It was described as an early restoration (I think I know what that means now). I could tell from the photo's that it was not perfect and some body work would be needed, so I am not too supprised.
It's too late to turn back now, and I will know at the end, exactly what I have. He is doing a thourgh job, so I know the car will be as strong and safe as it can be.
A lot of the early restoration had not attached the sills or gaurds to the car properly. He said today I would hate to think what would have happened in an accident. On the bright side the floors, allthough have been patched, seem resonably solid.

Mal

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 am

No worries, no need to convert it then :) . I hope everything goes well.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

martin172

Post by martin172 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am

Wow, some open heart surgery going on there.

At least you know that when it is finished and protected from the elements (do you guys actually get bad weather down there? lol) it will last you a lifetime.

What is the free standing panel assembly with the holes in it?

Does anyone have any bodyshell schematics to show what goes where? I'm trying to get and mental picture of how the monocoque is assembled.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Mal,

I think i remeber the car when it was for sale, i looked at it on the web, interesting how they get around.

Rob, going to RHD doesnt require getting a stock rack, in fact unless you want a "correct" car its not a wise move you are better off switching to the midget rack and getting better geometry and quicker steering.
Michael King

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 am

Martin.
If you look at the part suppliers web sites, under body panels, they have an exploded view of the car and all the panels. You will get the idea from there.

The panel with the holes goes under the scuttle panel.(under the windscreen panel.)

Do we have bad weather. Today was about 19 deg C. A light wind and not a cloud in the sky. :wink:

Michael. It was advertised on the STOC classifieds as well as else where.

Cheers Mal

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:57 am

Mal,

I remember it on the STOC classifieds.. at the time it actually made me feel a little sad, as i thought it was VERY well priced.. rhs.. and IIRC had a nice canvas top and overall looked very presentable. Always the problem with photos i guess.

That said.. i still think it was a very good buy.. and once your work is done you'll have a very nice solid car to enjoy.. and wil be abel to finsh it to your own preference.. and i think still at a decent price.
Michael King

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:59 am

Michael. It was resonably priced and I was expecting to have to do some work on it, so I am not complaining. If I had bought a more expensive and recently restored car, i would have pulled it apart anyway. I can't seem to help myself :) .
This way I will certainly feel it's mine.
Cheers Mal

Tomaselli

Re: In for a penny

Post by Tomaselli » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Mal wrote:And this is the good side.
OMG :!: :!:

Sure it will be a really beauty when, one day.........it'll......................be finally finished :D

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:06 am

He has the outer sill on this side nearlly ready to attach. Made up the water channels that had rusted away. This side is starting to come together :) . I am still waiting on the new door skins and patch panels I ordered to turn up. Hopefully soon, then he can get the door gap nice and even on this side.

Cheers Mal.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 am

The other side :(

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

On a happy note :D
Engines together :mrgreen: 8) It's black so it's a 260 :wink:

Image[/img]

On the other side he has the new door skin on and lead wiped the rear sill join and door gap. It's looking good, and is solid and strong. :D
I have decided against the side vents. According to the cooling article they only drop the temp 2deg. Making sure the body is right is using up the funds.
Last edited by Mal on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:04 am

Mal,

Ouch... was the windscreen wobbling around?

What is the bottom of the windcreen frame like? I have seen many of those rotted away.. i guess the water doesnt just stop there. At least when you are done you will have a very nice solid car.
Michael King