Fuel Tanks

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
stuartb

Fuel Tanks

Post by stuartb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Has anyone had success in stripping the factory applied paint coating on the inside of the fuel tanks?. I have been cleaning up my tanks and the internal paint is starting to lift in places which modern petrol will soon play havoc with.

Old fashioned paint stripper would probably work but not sure about the modern environmental stuff that seems to have lost all it's strength.

bernd_st

Re: Fuel Tanks

Post by bernd_st » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Not sure whether it helps but we are using a blasting company here in Germany which is specialized in Motorcycle Tank Restauration. They fortunately also do the internal coating which can withstand modern fuels. Because of their Expertise we gave up to handle those toxic chemicals ...

stuartb

Post by stuartb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Progress Update

I left the tanks filled with a solution of Caustic Soda for 6 days ( 3 X 500g pots in each tank) then with a good steam clean the paint washed off in long strips.
Next job is to treat the inside with Metal Ready to remove any corrosion and etch the metal ready for treating with Por15 Fuel Tank Sealer to stop future corrosion and damage from Ethanol.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 am

I took mine into a plating shop and they put them in the caustic tanks to remove what was left of the factory coating. Then I did the same as you with the POR15 fuel tank sealer. I also had a few pin holes so I repaired it as they say with cloth and the sealer. Seems to be holding up fine.