Hard top dimensions needed

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Tigerfan

Hard top dimensions needed

Post by Tigerfan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi Guys,

Having completed a full restoration of a hard top for my Tiger, when fitted it seems to not fit snugly on the rear corners but stands off about 1/2 inch. The rear rail sits close onto the rear deck in the middle with a gap increasing towards the corners. The car deck is original and unmolested.

Clearly I should have dry fitted the top before painting. doh!! Perhaps the top has been dropped vertically on the rear rail pushing it forward slightly at some time. The rear rail is original only repaired at the corners.

Can anybody give me a dimension taken with a top upside down, from the front of the top to the outside of the rear rail and the overall dimension across the rear corners. I need to check these dimensions. If short back to front this would indicate the possible problem. If so with the rear window removed hopefully I can place a lever between the rear of the top and the rail and gently push it out which would allow it to sit lower at the corners.

Regards
Rich

Adam

Re: Hard top dimensions needed

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:50 pm

Hello Rich

My hard top is on the car at the mo, but I fitted new weatherseals to it last year and it does not fit brilliantly at all. I suspect it never did.

I will try to check the dimension for you when I get a jiffy, but it seems odd that yours is distorted without it being visible. Do the pegs still locate into the boot hinges ok?

Adam..
Adam Moody

Tigerfan

Re: Hard top dimensions needed

Post by Tigerfan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:06 am

Thanks Adam,

Yes the pegs line up although the position of the hinges can be moved backwards and forwards to adjust the amount the pins locate into the hinge. Yes its strange why it makes contact at the centre and stands off at he corners. The hard top fit on a previous Tiger that I owned seem to fit perfectly if I remember correctly. If the rear deck had been replaced at some time maybe this could be the problem, but this is very original as is most of the car. Look forward to getting this dimension from you when convenient.

many thanks

Rich