Hard top restoration

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Tigerfan

Hard top restoration

Post by Tigerfan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi Guys,
Having nearly completed restoring of a hardtop for my Tiger, I have one job to do, fit the rear window.

Question: Having put the window in using the correct old stock rubber, it seems impossible to now fit the chrome surround which seems to have to clip over the outside of the rubber and then be inserted under the flap in the rubber, presumably to add pressure to the glass sealing. Should the chrome surround perhaps be fitted onto the rubber when on the window before fitting to the top.

Either way seems difficult? Any comment help would be appreciated.

I have scanned through Youtube to check if anybody has posted a video but without success. Anybody know of any aftermarket instructions?

Thanks Rich

pushrod

Re: Hard top restoration

Post by pushrod » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 pm

Chrome trim goes in after the rubber and window is fitted. It's a pig to fit and doesn't look right when done. I got my local restorers to do mine when they sprayed the top, they glued the connector in to get it to stay in place.

Sorry but can't take any photos as the top is away having a new headliner fitted.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

FDub

Post by FDub » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:40 pm

If it’s of any help to you (or others who come behind us) I prised my rear window out by hand recently and then prised it back in again. Zero prep before removal, in terms of removing any trim. My fingers were raw but I got it done. Came out pretty easy, harder to get back in.

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 pm

I used a little silicon spray as a lube. Comes in handy when dealing with fitting rubber parts. Maybe a little detergent may do the same and wash out easier when finished. my trim wanted to pop back out for a while with the silicon, but my connectors were a tight fit and held it all in when on.