Weber carbs for SBF

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Forgot to say, yes the bonnet boot and doors are all made in alluminium, and yes the bonnet will be held down with "R" clip's as period.
It was a race car, it wasn't meant to be pretty :lol: :lol:

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 pm

i would like to see pics of your car paul.read the article about your dad in the horn.

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Thanks Gary,

The article in the Horn wasn't that well researched to be fair and Dad's in his seventies now so his memory's not what it was but on the whole it's not that far from fact.
It's forty years this September sinse his accident and the car's total destruction. Graham's mooted a far more in depth article to come in C W sometime soon and with my help it should be far more factual, so looking forward to that.

There's not much to post picture wise on my car right now ( or nothing that i'd wanna show just yet) as it's all in a 1000 bit's on the workshop floor, i want to get it as near identicle to dad's car and that's why it's taking so long, it has to be all period stuff for this build, nothing billet or modern, that's why i have to have everything made or fabricated, making something newly fabricated look old is an art you know....

Should be quite something when finished.

If i knew how i'd post some pictures of Dad and AHP 295B

Paul.... :lol:

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:15 am

Red Race Tiger wrote:If i knew how i'd post some pictures of Dad and AHP 295B Paul.... :lol:
Paul,

I was going to ask if the car was AHP 295B, last year some time i found some footage of that car in a mod sports race on the internet, cant remember if i posted it here or to the list, if you hadnt seen it i can try and find my old posting and can post it up here. Doug Nye also wrote a short one page article on the car a few years back in "motorsport"?
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:27 am

Found the video, posted to the list in august 2010:

From Mallory park 08/08/1971.. almost 40 years to the day!

If you go to 6:40 there is the footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3LrY42x3Q

EDIT, paul.. just looked at the YouTube comment.. looks like its your video?
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:00 am

Micheal,

No not my video, but yes i did post a comment.

And thanks for putting the video up.

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 pm

& thanks from me too, that was a good watch.

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:59 am

Another point of intrest about this video is that further down the field in No's 126, Austin Healey 3000 is Chief Inspector for Northants Constabulary, Jonh Gott.

The same John Gott that "Borrowed" 295B from Rootes to win the 1965 Police International Rally outright.

I wonder what his thought's may have been back then to race against that same car in Modsports and see it at the shape end of the grid ?

Intesting stuff this Tiger lark :lol:

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Is there two Tigers in that footage? Is that a Tiger just behind the yellow E type?

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Yes, another Tiger indeed. it appeared only a few times, a mk1 260 fast road car, from memory it wasn't very competitive. Metalic Purple, black hardtop, dark tinted windows and revoution wheels.....funny how things come back to you.

Wonder if that Tiger survives?

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Something for your scrap book 'red race tiger'.

Received this great anecdote recently about John Gott. Supplied by Frank Faulkner a retired official Police photographer.

“My late Motor Racing Chief Constable (interests in that order) John Gott drove a Sunbeam Tiger (AHP 295B) to win the International Police Rally in 1965. There is a photograph in his biography “John Gott – a life in the fast lane” p.84. (which I took, being then a Police Photographer)

He was always happiest chattering about his driving days and when I put it to him at the time I was taking the photograph “Did you have a Tiger in your Tank?” he replied, “No, but they had a Tiger up their arse!”

They don’t make ‘em like that anymore”

Nice that!!

More on retired Police Tigers in upcoming 'Cats Whiskers' 86

Graham
STOC Editor

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:10 pm

"Red Race Tiger" asked me to load up these images of his father Malcolm Sears racing AHP 295B. Great shots!!

This photograph is of Malcolm Sears and AHP 295B in his last race at Oulton Park on 18th September 1971.

Graham
STOC Editor

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Great action shots, and just love them arches.... mean looking Tiger that :!:

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Yes she was a mean looking Tiger and very quick too.....

If anyone following this thread may want to read further then suggest trying the "Autosport Nostalgia Forum" under Peter Hawtin/Malcolm Sears Oulton Park 18/09/71, From page two onwards.

That may help give an insight into the car and driver.

All the best :wink:

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:00 am

Thanks for sharing the pictures... great action shots and a very mean looking Tiger.

Thanks again, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE