UK Tiger for sale on ebay

Post general questions relating to Tigers
michael-king

UK Tiger for sale on ebay

Post by michael-king » Wed May 18, 2011 1:23 am

Spotted this on ebay Uk, no connection to seller etc..

No VIN or JAL given. Car looks to be a cross over body MKI not IA as listed. It lacks the vertical panel in the rear of the MKIA vynil soft top cover setup and has a round corner boot.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sunbeam-tiger-mk1 ... 2310d10d19

Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

gvickery
Site Admin

UK Tiger

Post by gvickery » Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Michael

The photos aren't up to much but yes, square, square, round, plus SUNBEAM letters on nose makes it a cross-over body as you say and the metal soft top covers make this one a late MKI not a 1A....unless they are an after fit!

The vendor asks for questions but is not yet able or willing to advise the Chassis number etc.

Graham
STOC Editor

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Wed May 18, 2011 7:50 pm

The vendor asks for questions but is not yet able or willing to advise the Chassis number etc.
No photos of the running gear etc, no engine bay shots of this “beloved” Tiger. What paperwork is there?

This does not fill a prospective bidder with lots of confidence.

A very close inspection is essential before entertaining making a bid.

Red Race Tiger

Tiger on ebay

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Calm Down, Calm Down.....

This Tiger is known to the club, it was owned by me and sold on to the current owner some four years ago as i didn't then have the time or funds to restore two Tiger's

It has been in dry storage sinse i parted with it and is only now very reluctantly offered for sale at the right price.

The car has been listed on ebay as a MK1A purely because the current owner is not as "UP" on such matters, but yes she's a very restorable genuine late prodution RHD MK1

Both the Chassis and Jal are with the car and known to me.

Norman Miller is also aware of the it's existance.

This car could very well be someones last chance to own an restorable and more importantly affordable Sunbeam Tiger :roll:

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 pm

I presume it was green once upon a time.

Is that blue a Tiger colour?

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed May 18, 2011 8:14 pm

is it me or does the tunnel look a bit suspect ,i asked if it was a genuine tiger and he never replied ,he wants 10k for it

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed May 18, 2011 8:18 pm

It's 100% genuine alright, and yes it started life green

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Wed May 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Red Race Tiger,
Thanks for your input. The way it is advertised just makes it sound a bit “iffy”.

Tomaselli

Re: Tiger on ebay

Post by Tomaselli » Wed May 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Red Race Tiger wrote:be someones last chance to own a restorable and more importantly affordable Sunbeam Tiger
Agree, can't be many left now that somebody could "take-on" as a virgin restoration project. Prices and interest remain on the "up" I was only this afternoon reading a "Buyers Market Piece" on the Sunbeam Tiger in this month's (June) edition of Octane..... :D ........ they were making a direct comparison to the original Cobra, a niece but short piece 8)

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu May 19, 2011 1:02 am

I think this is a good example of how a poor/careless listing doesnt do anyone any favours.

Most tiger folk would provide a VIN/JAL number with the auction (i thought you had to unless its a salvage car?) listing the car as a MKIA not MKI also makes people wonder how much this person knows about the car.

The photos are not very clear, they show no other parts avilable and the description is quite breif. There is no discussion of body condition and despite the claim of all the parts are stored away. there is no indication of what all those parts might be.

Good clear photos and a good list/description of the car help draw interest.. the more vague and ambiguous the more sceptical people become.

I know he has put his phone number on it, but a better description would probably prevent a lot of questioning calls.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 am

Come on people, why all the back biting?

All this over an ebay listing..... other than getting the MK1A bit wrong (which has been pointed out as a genuine mistake) this car is what it is a genuine late RHD MK1 Tiger.

Obviously in need of a full restoration and loving care, just because the current owner is not a club member and known to you all doesn't give reason to doubt him or his vehicle, it was sold by me, it has a 260 5 bolt, 4FB manifold and TopLoader. Original front and rear axles, header tank and fan shrould....what more do we all need to know.

The car is cobe 86 (Forest Green) has spent it's life in Norfolk prior to me buying it, and i wasn't the first club member to view the car whilst for sale, i obviously got there first with the cash.

After getting the car home i contacted Norm Miller to make him aware of the car's existance and register the chassis number with him.

Since then it has remained in dry storage awaiting restoration and personally i would have liked to see the current owner rebuild the car and enjoy it.....

THE CAR'S FOR SALE if anyone is intrested BID ON IT and buy it with the confidence that it's 110% genuine.

Other than that, those of us that DO NOT have and intrest whether on the other side of the planet or at home let's leave the fella and his Tiger alone.

Sometimes these topic's can get a little out've control. :shock:

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:43 am

110%? Has it got a boot full of spares too? :lol:

Seriously, I have to agree that more pics and info would have been good.
Not only to placate any doubters, but to help with the sale.
If he wants to maximise the amount he gets for it, pics and info would help no end.

Perhaps someone should get in touch with him and let him know what things people like to see and what rare Tiger parts people like to know the car has.
If it puts a few more Pounds in his pocket, then it would be worth it.

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Thu May 19, 2011 9:55 am

Red Race Tiger,
We are not back biting and having a go at the seller. We merely pointed out shortcomings with the way the car has been advertised and the lack of hard information provided. In view of the Tiger's rarity and likely demand I think we were right to be sceptical since there are plenty of fake Tigers out there.

Had the additional information which you kindly provided been supplied originally, you probably would not have heard a peep out of any of us.

In any event, this little debate has probably got hundreds of additional prospective Tiger owners around the globe alerted to the possibility of a rare restoration project at a reasonable price.

In fact, the winning bid will probably be higher as a direct result of our mutterings on this forum.
It will go to prove the old adage “there's no such thing as bad publicity”.

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Thu May 19, 2011 10:10 am

If he wants to maximise the amount he gets for it, pics and info would help no end.

Perhaps someone should get in touch with him and let him know what things people like to see and what rare Tiger parts people like to know the car has.
If it puts a few more pounds in his pocket, then it would be worth it.
I could not agree more.

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Got this on my ebay watch list, its the kind of project i'm looking for, trouble is i'm working in Gdansk at the moment so no way to view the car before the auction ends.