New on the forum

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Brad1380

New on the forum

Post by Brad1380 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Evening Gents,
eventualy managed to get my account verified.
I've been lurking on the forum for a while but have decided to take the plunge & register.
I will be looking for a Tiger some time in the future, but first would like to read up a bit more on them, can anyone recommend anything apart from the 'book of Norman' which is a tad expensive at the moment!
I'm a long time classic owner of Mini's, AH & Triumphs, so body work, engines, interior, paint etc..doesn't worry me too much. I have a disturbing habit of taking anything i buy completely apart then rebuilding it, just finished a Triumph which will be in their magazine soon, also had a Mini Cooper which won a show. So basically saying i have a spoilt home waiting for a Tiger.
cheers
Brad

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi Brad and welcome to the club. :D

I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to answer your questions.

I just sweep up and make the tea around here.

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Brad,

Welcome to STOC.
No disrespect to Norman but the BON is not essential.

I suggest you have a thorough look at the various posts on various Tiger sites (STOC, CAT, STOA, Tigers East/Alpines East etc) to get a fuller picture of what Tiger ownership is likely to entail.

You say that bodywork and paint etc does not bother you too much. All I can say is that you have come to the right place to practice your skills! Naturally, as with any classic car, the value of the car depends heavily on the bodywork condition.
What is underneath that nice shiny paintwork?
Also, engine rebuilds are expensive. Ask me about it. I am in the middle of doing one.

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car. Do you want a show Tiger, a decent running car in good condition to drive down the country lanes or a track beast? A standard car or modified/personalised?

If you like lots of aggravation, get an untidy one and tidy it up at vast expense.

Alternatively, keep your eye out in the STOC Classifieds for a Tiger which has been properly rebuilt and you can drive away and use immediately.

I suggest that you get in touch with some local Tiger owners and have a look at their cars and have a good chinwag. They will also put you wise to the quality (and histories) of those cars which are currently for sale. Also, beware of fake Tigers.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:11 am

Brad,

Welcome, there are various reviews written about the cars in the UK mags, there have been several "buyers guides" in the C&S and T&CC, most recent one was only a year or so back in C&S and aprils T&CC has a nice tiger article though not a buyers guide.

As for buying advice.. bodywork is the big issue, things to check:

Sills (inner and outer)
ends of the cross brace under the central floor
rear legs in the unibody
rear spring hangers

all the other usual classic posts door bottoms, scuttle etc.. but the above are serious structural issues.

suspension:
check front cross member for cracking around shock towers, look for sagging of front cross member, condition of steering rack.

I think the motors are not to bad cost wise.. if you are doing an original 260, yes they are pricey.. but 302 and 289 are not to bad for parts.

also go to http://www.rootes1.com/ and read about the cars, about "algers" and general tiger issues.

One last thing.. how original so you want it? If you want it largely stock make sure parts like the air filter housing, radiator shroud, expansion tank and original wooden steering wheel are in place.. they are big ticket items if you have to find them.

GOOD LUCK! :wink:
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks for the replies Gents, i really need to get to a club meet, though living near-ish to Le mans perhaps it would be easier to get them to come to mine!
As you say bodywork is the main thing, for every hour welding it takes another ten to finish off everything. Ideally i would like either a complete basket case or a good presentable car which someone else has had the pleasure of sorting out properly. So guess i'll be lurking on the classifieds in future.

On the subject of fake Tigers, how do you spot one?

cheers
Brad

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:56 am

Brad,

Check norm millers site for some of the tiger giev-aways.. another way is if the car has been TAC'd.. though probably not many in the UK.

Best bet.. join the club and run the Vin number past members.. see what they know about given cars.
Michael King

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Brad

A very good grounding is Mike Taylor's "Tiger - The Making of a Sportscar". Written 30+ years ago its content holds good to this day. Look for the 2nd Edition (1991). Competition history in Europe is covered brilliantly by Graham Rood in his "The Works Tigers" (2007). As for Tech Tips there are a couple of soft back American "Shop Notes" books in the used market.
Otherwise the state of play is pretty much as per previous responses. Not sure where you are based but if the UK don't buy anything before running the numbers past STOC and if US based then Norm Miller.

Most of what you need to get to know is here: http://www.tigersunited.com/classifieds/

Here's a couple of links to simple guidance:
http://www.classicandperformancecar.com ... oints.html
http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/classic ... guide.html (Alpine but covers tin worm)

Its a slim literary market but this doc covers most of it: http://www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/Galleries ... ations.pdf

Graham
STOC Editor

gvickery
Site Admin

Tiger Authentication

Post by gvickery » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Brad

Looking back I see I didn't pick up on your question about Tiger authentication.

There is no public list of what distinquishes the Pressed Steel base Tiger body from that of an Alpine nor of the extensive modifications made to the body at Jensen Motors. But Norm Miller's website gives you enough to be able to spot the older conversions.

http://www.classictiger.com./mudge/tac/nutac.htm

The semi official USA based "Tiger Authentication Committee" - 'TAC' has yet to be accredited to us Europeans. So STOC cannot offer this certificated assurance but we can talk and will inspect!

Graham
STOC Editor

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 am

Some good links there gents, especially on the originality front. The missus prefers the mk2 Tigers, so next mission impossible is to find an affordable one.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu May 12, 2011 3:53 am

Brad1380 wrote:Some good links there gents, especially on the originality front. The missus prefers the mk2 Tigers, so next mission impossible is to find an affordable one.
What is the preference for a MKII? There is very little difference between the MKIA and MKII except some cosmetic changes and the 289 and wide ratio box.

Given that most tigers have engine upgrades (either 289 or 302) and its unlikely that that or the gearbox is the reason the wife preffered the MKII im thinking it must be the non peaked headlight rims and grill/wheel arch and sill mouldings?

You can with time find the headlight rims and there are reproductions currently available of the MKII grill on ebay. While both items are expensive they are a long way off the price difference of a MKII. As for the wheel arch mouldings.. well they are hard to come by, but im sure something could be susbstituted if that really is what she desires.

Not trying to put you off a MKII, but unless there isa good reason for wanting one, they will comand a decent price premium that may keep you out of tiger ownership.

On a side note, i do know of a geniune MKII tiger resto project for sale in AU, complete car and only missing the A/C housing and the wheel arch mouldings (NOS sill ones included) Car is straight, but has rusty sills (floors and body are good) so if you are prepared to restore a car (and ship it) that could be a MKII option.

Otherwise, there are 2 original RHD MKII's for sale currently in the UK, one for 60K GBP and there are a few LHD ones on the classifieds section f this site... and a very nice black MKII in the states for $100K USD
Michael King

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu May 12, 2011 6:42 am

On a side note, i do know of a geniune MKII tiger resto project for sale in AU, complete car and only missing the A/C housing and the wheel arch mouldings (NOS sill ones included) Car is straight, but has rusty sills (floors and body are good) so if you are prepared to restore a car (and ship it) that could be a MKII option.
Michael, What does he want for it ?. Just curious.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Michael.
2 for sale? I'm aware of the white one but what is the other one?

Ah, just thought. Is the other one Brian's car?

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu May 12, 2011 12:33 pm

martin172 wrote:Hi Michael.
2 for sale? I'm aware of the white one but what is the other one?

Ah, just thought. Is the other one Brian's car?
I dont know if its brians car, but it's was still in the classifeds on the site, ex-hartwell car TGR 747 rego.

When you think about it there are a few MKII's available at the moment, 3 advertised on this site and the white ex-ploice MKII. 2 x rhd 2 x lhd.

I guess there are two MKII's available in AU as well... one is the project car i had mentioned and the other is a "restored" car that can be found on carsales.com.au site.

If I was going to spend big $ on a restored tiger, especially a MKII i would want a TAC inspection or some pretty good understanding the car was not a rebody..
Michael King

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Yes, that's Brian's MK2. Nice number plate too.

V8 burble

Post by V8 burble » Thu May 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Brad1380,
Not trying to put you off a MkII, but unless there is a good reason for wanting one, they will command a decent price premium that may keep you out of Tiger ownership.
I could not agree more.

In addition, even assuming that you have the spare cash available, you really need to keep a MkII absolutely stock to maximise its value.

My advice is to get a MkI which does NOT have to be kept stock, unless you prefer it that way.

You mentioned that you like taking apart cars and rebuilding them. Well, you can modify/personalise a MkI without upsetting too many other Tiger owners and then just enjoy driving your own personal creation.