Tremec Gearbox from recent Mustang

Post general questions relating to Tigers
V8 burble

Tremec Gearbox from recent Mustang

Post by V8 burble » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Saw this classified ad on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tremec-Gearbox-4- ... 4aa7c7b982

This gearbox may not fit the Tiger without a lot of metal bashing and other mods, but the price sounds reasonable.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:43 pm

You are right, with a long gearbox you'd need to chop an awful lot of metal out.

Or you could run with the popular "short" T5 conversion they now use on the E-Type Jag, though a bit pricey at £3k - but there would be very little metal to modify on a Tiger tunnel :D

http://www.eliteracingtransmissions.com ... ad/jag-t5/

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:50 am

I don't think the T5 is a particulary strong trans if you are going to put it behind a strong V8. Be fine behind a stock 260-289 or mildly modified, but aren't they pulled form mustangs when they bump up the power.

I have a Tremac sitting on the shed floor that I considered using in the Tiger, but I didn't want to cut the car to fit it, and the expense. I also like the toploaders long first gear and the reverse lock out lever that looks so 8). I think if we modify them to much we lose the cars character.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:02 am

Mal wrote:I don't think the T5 is a particulary strong trans if you are going to put it behind a strong V8. Be fine behind a stock 260-289 or mildly modified, but aren't they pulled form mustangs when they bump up the power.

I have a Tremac sitting on the shed floor that I considered using in the Tiger, but I didn't want to cut the car to fit it, and the expense. I also like the toploaders long first gear and the reverse lock out lever that looks so 8). I think if we modify them to much we lose the cars character.
Mal,

I get where you are coming from not wanting to cut the body.. im a big stickler for keeping sheet metal stock.. the tom hall kit I thought was the ticket as it's rumored to not require cutting.. but.. it does require a bit of tunnel bashing which is a bit of a dissapointment.

As for the original close ratio box.. i got ot say.. i would like to go the wide ratio.. the C/R is great on the track.. but on the stree its a pain.. you cant have any fun through the gears without putting your liscence on the line.. i mean you do 4000+ in first and your going to be taking an enforced break from driving... would love to have a 5 speed top loader and a 3.54 or 3.73 rear.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 am

Michael.
A bit of tunnel bashing is not to bad if you really want the 5th gear.
I just couldn,t see the point of cutting the car for the tremac to gain the extra gear and losing the appeal of the toploaders gear levers asthetics.
The cost of doing it would take a long time to recoup through fuel savings.
you cant have any fun through the gears without putting your liscence on the line.. i mean you do 4000+ in first and your going to be taking an enforced break from driving.
Hey, I live in the country :D

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:51 am

Mal...

you b&$t&rd.. i bet they are targa tassie roads too... i'm city bound.. so dont get much chance to open the car up.. was fun to be on the track at phillip island.. on a track the C/R box is great... on the trip home.. well its just what it is.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:01 am

I had a T5 from a TVR, where the gear lever came up same line as top loader, but central in tunnel so only minor cutting needed. Was a good compromise with first 4 gears similar to Tiger, but relaxed cruising in 5th on road trips. Good for about 350 bhp. Now have Tremec in which did need cutting of crossmember, good for 500 bhp & 2500revs at 100mph in 5th!

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:08 am

Slight detour here, but what engine do you have in your car Bob and what sort of average mpg do you get from that sort of powr output?

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:55 pm

302 GT40 spec with supercharger on blow through carb.Not been on rolling road yet, but hope for 450+ bhp + loads of torque! On run back from Le-Mans was getting 20+ mpg, better than standard Tigers. 40mph/1000revs in 5th

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Awesome!
That is excellent mpg for a blown engine.
I know of cars with half that ci that would like those figures.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:54 pm

bigbob wrote:Not been on rolling road yet,
Bob, don't whatever you do put it on a rolling road before any planned trips this year .......... :mrgreen:

tiger331

Post by tiger331 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:48 pm

I have a tremec T5 in my tiger with now a 357 stroker. I do not think about the gearbox, as the Tiger is really light and with our tires, the grip is also limited. The gearbox had absolutely no problem with the 331 stroker, I had before.
You have to convert the rear case of the T5 with a case from a S10 gearbox. Not too much work but then you must only cut a hole in the tunnel, round about 2" in front of the original hole and of course in the middle.
The box shifts better than the old one and the 5th gear is absolutelly perfect. You can drive really high speeds for a longer time without any problem.
There are many T5 boxes on the market, with different gearsets and strength. The actually T5, as sold from summit racing is really strong. If you wont more, you have to build it with a gforce gearset.

But, as already told, with our light car there is no problem. And, to think about, the gforce gearset is "loud".

regards
Hans
Sunbeam Tiger MK1 with 357 strokerengine, really funny.